Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Keeping jailed dwarves alive?  (Read 1644 times)

damocles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Keeping jailed dwarves alive?
« on: December 12, 2007, 06:54:00 am »

I'm having a major problem in my current fort.  After a particularly bloody battle where a lot of good dwarves died, my remaining dwarves started throwing tantrums and smashing up the place, so my jails filled up pretty quickly.

The real problem though, is that they are dying of thirst in there.  I couldn't figure it out at first - I kept getting died of thirst messages but I had 3 active wells and two river based water sources.  Then I looked at the justice screen and noticed that all the dwarves that had died were currently incarcerated.

So how can I stop my poor little criminals from dying while in prison?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping jailed dwarves alive?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 08:04:00 am »

Do you have spare buckets? They are needed to let your dwarves (with health care turned on) bring water to prisoners and wounded dwarfs.
I believe it is also possible in the new version to build a 1x1 booze stockpile right next to your chains so your prisoners can drink themselves (just like you can build a bed next to the chain so they won't have to sleep on the floor). Not 100% sure, I've built the stockpiles but haven't got any prisoners yet.
BTW, are your prisoners chained or caged? Don't use cages, use chains.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 08:07:00 am »

Also, health care (like bringing water) is a very low priority job.
So, if most of your dwarves are busy hauling etc., chances are high your prisoners will die of thirst and hunger. But since your post was about dehydration and not starvation, my guess is that you lack free buckets.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

damocles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:00:00 am »

I had several free buckets, so I can only assume it was lack of healthcare.  This is more likely as shortly after posting, I lost another caged dwarf due to hunger.

So I'll have to remember to make a couple of nursemaid dwarves then.

Marsume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 12:09:00 pm »

Also place a bed by your chains so they will have a place to sleep. They may be too tired to drink. And yes Medic dwarves are great to have.