Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first game in a long time  (Read 658 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
My first game in a long time
« on: February 14, 2012, 08:30:13 pm »

I haven't been playing DF lately, mostly because of FPS issues (need a new PC).
But ofcourse I couldn't resist the new version.
Here's my first experience with it:

Firstly, woldgen. Not particularily slower than before. took 10 minutes to gen a medium world to the year 200. I did order the year 250, but for some reason, at a very early stage of worldgen, Golden Age began, which IIRC means that all megabeasts have died out.

So okay. A megabeastless world. After contemplating on regenning a new world I decided not to wait another 10 minutes, but instead go ahead and fire up dwarf mode. Found a nice piece of land, soil, clay, shallow and deep metal, flux, no aquifer (I hate those). Mostly neutral broadleaf forest, but with a single patch of haunted mountain biome on it.

First point of note there: It seems performance has increased. I get around 80 FPS now with my first 7 dwarves, on a semi-flat (max slope 3), 3x3 embark. That used to be around 50 FPS in the previous version. Still need to see how that holds out as the game progresses.

It's summer now. My expedition leaded has been attacked by weasel corpses. There's 2 "weasel Corpse skeletons" in my front yard now.
My expedition leader had all yellow and red wounds after his first encounter with aforementioned undead. When I looked at the descrip<z>ion it only said "bruising". When I clicked him again a minute or so later, he was all healthy again.

What's more: I ordered some fishing to be done. It seems fish cleaning has become a dangerous trade: My fish cleaner has been attacked by mussel shell corpses.

I wonder. Is it just the fast healing treat, or is my expedition leader a vampire...?
I also wonder... Is it the haunted surroundings that randomly animates mussel shells, or is my vampire expedition leader also adept at necromancy...?

tl;dr. The new version is friggin awesome!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: My first game in a long time
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:17:39 pm »

The starting 7 shouldn't be vampires.

But you could always, you know, cut him to be sure.

And dead things don't stay dead in evil biomes anymore.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first game in a long time
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:19:48 pm »

I've only genned one world so far.  It went through five, count them, FIVE, Age of Myth and Age of Legends (starts as Age of Myth, ended at Fifth Age of Legends).  Not sure what my FPS is (have that disabled) but its running noticeably faster in my normal 5x5 embark.

I start my normal embark in a Wilderness area ... and lose my minder dwarf to a cave in widening the area just outside my fortress entrace.  D'oh.

So far, I agree with Phoebus -- My God! Its full of Stars!
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"