Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 90 new words for the vanilla languages  (Read 962 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
90 new words for the vanilla languages
« on: September 23, 2011, 10:14:03 pm »

EDIT: I'll keep the latest version available here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/rw51t0 Now for the first time, all the characters are working perfectly!

While I still can't publish the DF word adder, I have used it to make modified language files covering all the vanilla languages. Now here's 120 new words for dwarven, elven, human and goblin.

Many of the words are NSFW, and not recommended for those who'd find 4chan offensive.

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 90 new words for the vanilla languages
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 07:34:04 am »

The accented characters in your files are messed up: they have an extra 0x2C byte (which shows up as "┬") in front of them.

I suspect what happened was that you saved the files in the IBM437 encoding, which DF expects, but then somehow accidentally ran them through an ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 conversion.  Anyway, it's not hard to fix; a simple "iconv -f UTF-8 -t ISO-8859-1" will do it on Linux.

(Ps. Keeping with the theme of handy iconv tricks, "iconv -f IBM437 -t ASCII//TRANSLIT" can be used to strip accents from DF language files, if you're using a tileset that uses those characters for its own purposes.)

Edit: Also, your language_SYM.txt file has some misplaced [S_WORD] tags in front of the header line, and probably doesn't work.  (I believe modern versions of DF ignore files that don't have the expected header line matching their file name, to avoid problems with duplicate backup files.)  Oh, and while it's not really a bug as such, the lines you've added to the language files have their indentation all over the place.  (The usual practice in DF raws seems to be to use TAB characters for indentation, one per level.)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:48:51 am by vyznev »
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 08:54:25 am »

Thanks, I wondered where the ┬ characters came from. I'm using windows though, and only encodings I find through notepad and Word are ANSI, Unicode, Unicode big endian and UTF-8. What should I choose?

I hadn't noticed the error in symbols after the latest modifications, so here's the fixed version of the rar:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rgzzjx

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 02:52:10 pm »

Out of those options, you should probably try ANSI -- it's the only one that isn't obviously wrong.  If that doesn't work, you might want to try getting a better text editor.

Ps. I downloaded your new version: it's somewhat better, in that some of the accents look correct now, but substantially worse in that others have been replaced by question marks.  :(
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 03:20:49 pm »

Saving as ANSI does give a warning about losing some characters written in Unicode format, so I guess that explains the question marks. Did they work after converting them in linux though?

The indentations were originally unintended, but I decided to keep using them because it made it easier to find the new lines when needed.

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 04:34:57 pm »

In the first version, I could fix the encoding issue using iconv as I described in my post above.  In the second version, there's not much I can do about the question marks.  (They're actual question marks, character code 0x3F, not undisplayable characters.)  I guess you need a better text editor -- either one that can save the text in DOS code page 437 encoding, or just one that will leave the accented characters alone.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 03:13:38 pm »

Yet another try, this time I sent the files to a friend who uses Linux, and according to him changing the encoding worked. However, in the game it seemed to work only for the elven language.

Here's the latest version:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6ircb3

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 11:17:34 am »

With new vanilla words in DF, I decided to add my custom ones here too. Because I copy-pasted the modifications to the original files, the special characters are working for once.

Available here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/rw51t0