Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Accepting Challenges  (Read 3465 times)

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
Re: Accepting Challenges
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 11:18:31 pm »

Sans bridges, murder every single migrant who is not part of your starting seven dwarves AND base your economy off of making the most valuable things you can as fast as you can.
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 11:19:58 pm »

A very interesting challenge I've been doing myself on accident:
Build an above-ground fort only.  Use only minimal space underground for crops.
Build the entire fortress out of a single stone type, in block form (ie, been through the mason shop).
Temporary walls are not allowed, no quickly felling trees for a 1-year fort, only to stock stone and then tear down the wood and replace it with stone.

DFHack should be allowed for two reasons.  1: Use the job editing tool to change "Make Rock Blocks" into "Make Microcline Blocks" because otherwise managing your stone is going to be almost impossible.  2: Use prospector only during the embark map, so you can see what layer stones are available and prepare accordingly.  It won't show ore from the embark map, don't worry.

Prospector is optional, but if you notice the site has a lot of marble, you may want to embark with some marble already and set some walls in place early.  The more expensive the material, the better, so marble/dolomite/obsidian is preferred.  If you choose obsidian, then casting can be done to expand the fortress, and will be worth bonus points.  Casting obsidian, mining it, and using the boulders to build doesn't get you bonus points.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 12:31:31 am »

Create a fort dedicated to martial arts.  No weapons, no armor, just punching, kicking, wrestling, and biting.  No danger rooms, or modded creatures.  Just normal training sparring.  No traps, and no walling off your fort.  If a warrior reaches Professional in something, send him/her to fight something like a deer, or badger, alone, with nothing but his/her skill.  Trial of initiation, if it's won, turn the man/woman into a master. 

The ultimate goal is to create a fortress wide group of martial artists, capable of fighting off entire sieges with no weapons, along with the HFS ( if you choose to do that ).
ACCEPTED!
twill give me sum ta do whilst i waitaround for the update, no?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 01:36:03 am »

Create a fort dedicated to martial arts.  No weapons, no armor, just punching, kicking, wrestling, and biting.  No danger rooms, or modded creatures.  Just normal training sparring.  No traps, and no walling off your fort.  If a warrior reaches Professional in something, send him/her to fight something like a deer, or badger, alone, with nothing but his/her skill.  Trial of initiation, if it's won, turn the man/woman into a master. 

The ultimate goal is to create a fortress wide group of martial artists, capable of fighting off entire sieges with no weapons, along with the HFS ( if you choose to do that ).
ACCEPTED!
twill give me sum ta do whilst i waitaround for the update, no?

I can see it now;  The HFS is breached and clowns come rolling through only to find a room filled with dwarves calmly sitting and sipping tea without even acknowledging their presence.  The clowns will quietly back away and seal the HFS back up as they go, knowing exactly what happens when you disturb quiet little old men in these situations.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 02:40:12 am »

Build fort defences based on siege engines only. No traps, no military, ballistas/catapults only and shitload of seige operators.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 05:45:21 am »

I would, personally, say harvest absolutely no natural resources; no gathering plants, no chopping trees, no collecting clay/sand, no digging dirt and no mining stone.  All building materials must come through trade and goblinite, and food must be hunted or planted using seeds purchased from trade caravans.

cam94509

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 05:55:00 am »

I would, personally, say harvest absolutely no natural resources; no gathering plants, no chopping trees, no collecting clay/sand, no digging dirt and no mining stone.  All building materials must come through trade and goblinite, and food must be hunted or planted using seeds purchased from trade caravans.

The question is, if you had a volcano, and produced stone by mixing lava and water, could you then use that stone, or would that still count as a natural resource?

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 06:16:32 am »

The question is, if you had a volcano, and produced stone by mixing lava and water, could you then use that stone, or would that still count as a natural resource?

That depends on which tense you prefer to focus on; "harvest absolutely no natural resources" would say that you could use that stone, as it was not naturally occurring, whereas if you focused on "no digging dirt and no mining stone," obviously you would be blocked from utilizing that obsidian.  I would say disallow the usage of obsidian due to it being an excessively abundant artificial resource.

dragoncurse

• Bay Watcher
  • if patience.Huge = fortress.FUN.Huge
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 08:47:36 am »

New Challenge for the new 0.34 version:

Skelly-bike; Undead Michael

Build an Arena containing over 100 zombies and undeads, and unleash it upon a single legendary dwarf. If he fails, unleash magma to kill the remains.
:3
Pages: 1 [2]