Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves knocked out forever by slight fever?  (Read 1061 times)

pixelzombie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves knocked out forever by slight fever?
« on: February 12, 2012, 06:20:33 am »

I just killed a forgotten beast and took extra care so none of my dwarves died. However, around 6 of them were sprayed with some of its ooze, in addition to a bunch of war dogs. The description of it didn't sound too terrible, and the only diagnose they receive is "slight fever" with no additional treatment needed. They do, however, stay in bed forever. Most of them on the hospital beds (even after being diagnosed and told they don't need any treatment by the doctors), and one in his own bed. The attack dogs are firmly planted with the same symptoms at the site where the FB fell.

The "wounds" pane also shows "Unconscious" in addition to the fever - could that be a separate effect that the doctors aren't able to diagnose? None of them are throwing up or anything from the fever itself.

I realize that FBs can put permanent effects on dwarves, but I was still wondering if there is any way (legit or not) to remove these effects. These guys do not deserve to be chained to beds after their heroic efforts, but I do need those beds free and I don't have the heart to shower them with magma while they sleep :'(

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves knocked out forever by slight fever?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 06:28:42 am »

They may have had a secondary effect; a drowsiness effect that's very strong.

I've had dwarves pass out periodically from the drowsiness syndrome- some dwarves recover, some don't. My militia commander in one of my old forts who was 'almost never ill' recovered from a drowsiness syndrome after sleeping for two weeks.

pixelzombie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 06:41:23 am »

Thanks, I can add that they have been knocked out for almost two months now (I guess that doesn't really amount to being "forever" ..yet). All of them display "was able to rest and recuperate lately" despite still being unconscious.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 06:46:18 am »

That may not necessarily be a bug. It could just be that the dwarves have an underlying injury that's inoperable (smashed insides with no way to access the insides) or that they are gonna sleep forever.

The only way you're gonna deal with it I reckon is to isolate them, starve them to death and deal with the resulting tantrums.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 06:49:52 am »

Unconscious can just mean asleep. Any sleeping dwarf will have it, and so will a dwarf that has gone unconscious from blood loss from losing all their limbs. It doesn't mean much.

I'd say watch the affect dwarf with the best healing rate - if he hasn't recovered in 6 months they're likely done for.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 07:38:32 am »

Unconscious can just mean asleep. Any sleeping dwarf will have it, and so will a dwarf that has gone unconscious from blood loss from losing all their limbs. It doesn't mean much.

I'd say watch the affect dwarf with the best healing rate - if he hasn't recovered in 6 months they're likely done for.
Urist McDwarf cancels sleep : Unconscious.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

pixelzombie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 07:40:34 am »

Thanks guys, it seems they were gone for good. But as of right now, so is the rest of my fort as I just had my very first encounter with HFS :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 07:52:33 am »

so is the rest of my fort as I just had my very first encounter with HFS :D

Have fun.

Also, aren't migraines and headaches e.t.c. supposed to be caused by the outer membrane of the brain separating from the skull?

So slight fever = INCREDIBAD PAIN. Poor Dorfs. Kill them with magma, it's the only way to stop the burning :P

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 01:16:57 pm »

It is possible for FB syndromes to be generated without an end point defined. That means that that syndrome would last forever, and if it stops the afflicted from getting out of bed, they never will.

That said, a mild fever shouldn't cause them to rest... I'm positive that I've seen feverish dwarves actually working, albeit with penalties to their effectiveness. The dwarves might just be stuck in bed; occasionally, they'll fail to get up even if their injuries and syndromes are healed for whatever reason. The best way to fix this is typically to wound them again so the doctors rediagnose.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 05:23:23 pm »

Also, aren't migraines and headaches e.t.c. supposed to be caused by the outer membrane of the brain separating from the skull?
Close, but there are actual several structures in the skull that if disturbed can cause headaches, that's one of the reasons why headaches can be hard to treat sometimes, because there are several different things that all have approximately the same syndromes.

As for the unconsciousness, it is completely possible that a syndrome can cause direct unconsciousness, [CE_UNCONSCIOUSNESS:X], so that is certainly a possibility. Just hope that the game didn't be horrible and throw you a unconsciousness syndrome that never ends.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.