Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Y U no maek steel?  (Read 3407 times)

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Y U no maek steel?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 09:32:27 pm »

I've wondered that myself. My theory is that some of the carbon is lost during the melting process.
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 06:23:14 am »

Just another bit of background on why the whole mess is necessary:

Iron doesn't want to become steel. Heating and working it in the presence of carbon gets it to absorb some, but the resulting wrought iron is still quite soft and malleable.
If you turn up the heat further, something weird happens: the iron suddenly absorbs a whole lot of carbon and its melting point drops below the present temperature, you go from a somewhat malleable solid to a puddle almost instantly.
If you let it cool, you have cast iron: More carbon than steel, hard but brittle.

Many cultures came up with different tricks to get the carbon content right for steel; as has been mentioned the process in DF seems to mirror a Chinese technique.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 06:32:24 am »

I'am actually wondering if the problem of the OP has been fixed by now. Not that the science isn't interesting.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 06:40:25 am »

If you let it cool, you have cast iron: More carbon than steel, hard but brittle.
I don't know if you meant to say it like that, but even cast iron only has up to ~4% carbon. Something with a *majority* carbon would be a lot like coal - brittle and flammable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 07:50:05 am »

Tried deconstructing the smelter and rebuilding it? Are the (pig) iron bars being used/stockpiled?

Might be a known bug :/

In the mean time, use the job manager, that should work.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 07:57:35 am »

I think it was the burrows bug.

Had to abandon the fort to FPS death (and just as I was about to uncover the HFS for the first time, too!  >:( ) anyway, so never really solved that. I guess the manager work-around would've fixed it.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 08:06:32 am »

I don't know if you meant to say it like that, but even cast iron only has up to ~4% carbon. Something with a *majority* carbon would be a lot like coal - brittle and flammable.

What I meant was "containing more carbon than steel does", sorry for the ambiguity.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 12:38:15 pm »

This may be an urban legend, but I've heard that the definition of steel has not been constant throughout history. It used to be that the maximum amount of carbon it could have and still be considered steel was higher than it is now. That changed when the Bessemer Process came in; the BP was better at producing low-carbon steels, while the previously-dominant method (crucible steel) was better at high-carbon steels. Depending on the version you listen to, either the widespread use of the BP caused the definition to change, or Bessemer changed the definition as part of his marketing efforts.
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 02:03:07 am »

I think it was the burrows bug.

Had to abandon the fort to FPS death (and just as I was about to uncover the HFS for the first time, too!  >:( ) anyway, so never really solved that. I guess the manager work-around would've fixed it.

Either that or your materials were inaccessable/forbidden, "misplaced".
Pages: 1 [2]