Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pop cap  (Read 1897 times)

Nikinyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pop cap
« on: December 10, 2007, 01:18:00 pm »

I know about setting population cap for dwarves, but is there such cap for animals? They seem to slow the game considerably... My fortress now counts 211 dwarves and 255 animals. FPS is always at 7-10. Is there any way to stop animals from multiplying but slaughtering 'em?
Dwarf Fortress - The universe where Elves look like Elephants.

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pop cap
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 01:27:00 pm »

Put them in cages and sell them to traders (1 cage per animal), better yet, offer the animals to them.

Slaughter them.

Apply the above to animals of one specific gender to limit their ability to reproduce.  Unfortunately you can't do this with pets.

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

InquisitiveIdiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 08:03:00 pm »

Designate some open space above your magma vent as a pit.  Assign to it any and all unwanted animals and prisoners.  Zirilstul is certain to find their aromas pleasing, and will spare your fort for another year.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 08:12:00 pm »

Build a cage and place all your animals in it. Who cares if you have 200+ dogs if they are all in a cage and not producing lag?

They will still reproduce and those baby animials will start running around outside the cage (must be an awkward birth through the bars of the cage), but they are easy enough to add to the cage. Additionally, after a certain point animals reach their own population cap too.

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 09:06:00 pm »

Kind of a merge of two suggestions, put all unwanted creatures in cage, and drop the whole cage in a magma pit/chasm/hole with no exit.