Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do animals kill each other now? (v0.34.01)  (Read 1335 times)

DFAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do animals kill each other now? (v0.34.01)
« on: February 16, 2012, 05:33:02 pm »

I put all the animals in my fortress in a one pen on grass, except for egg layers and dogs. Since the update my dwarves keep finding dead animals in the pen. Are my animals fighting? or maybe they ran out of food?

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do animals kill each other now? (v0.34.01)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 05:41:38 pm »

Starting in the last version, animals will fight each other (and possibly die from injuries) if they don't have enough space. By the time you start getting a lot of grazers, it's best to separate them into different pastures to give them room, whether above or under ground.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 05:43:59 pm »

yes your animals are fighting.
yes it may be part lack of food,but lack of space is the reason for the fights.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

DFAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 06:00:08 pm »

Seems convenient actually. I no longer have to manually issue butchering.  ;D

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 06:23:09 pm »

Tame animals which die from any other cause other than being deliberately slaughtered at a butcher's shop can't be butchered, so if your goal is to get meat and other animal products, you still have to manually order them to be butchered.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 06:26:06 pm »

I don't allow them to kill each other...  I always keep one male and one female thus they never fight... no matter how close.  Their times of being close usually produce a youngster when fighting amongst them will start.  If it's a female youngster I kill the mommy animal for the butcher... if it's a male youngster I kill the daddy animal for the butcher.  Then the youngster grows up and soon incest occurs thus the cycle continues.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:09:27 pm by NTJedi »

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 12:45:21 am »

I don't allow them to kill each other...  I always keep one male and one female thus they never fight... no matter how close.  Their times of being close usually produce a youngster when fighting amongst them will start.  If it's a female youngster I kill the mommy animal for the butcher... if it's a male youngster I kill the daddy animal for the butcher.  Then the youngster grows up and soon incest occurs thus the cycle continues.
Why not butcher the father and keep any females? You only need one male to populate your entire herd but having more females increases the number of offspring produces. More offspring means more male animals to be eaten.