Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to publish a mod making changes to some animals?  (Read 651 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best way to publish a mod making changes to some animals?
« on: February 16, 2012, 05:03:07 pm »

A mod I have worked on adds several castes to dogs, cats, wolves and so on. While I have made the mod as self-contained as possible, I don't know a better way to publish them than upload entire creature_domestic, creature_tundra and other altered files.

Is there a way to make this easier to install with other possible mods, for example overriding the standard dog-creature in favor of the new one in the mod?

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to publish a mod making changes to some animals?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 05:30:01 pm »

Make the varying files (ex: vTropical animals) and have instructions to replace there corrisponding files. Or, perhapes, upload a version of the game with your files, like Wasteland and others do.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to publish a mod making changes to some animals?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:06:09 pm »

Take your new entries, and put them into new files.  If you put the proper header at the top, then it treats another file as legit.  Fortress Defense has two entity text files, one is vanilla and the other is FD.  So take your critters, put them into their own .txt and upload that to DFFD.  Mod-appropriate titles are often used, such as "ReonFox_Domestic.txt" so that it's easy to toy with installing/uninstalling/altering the mod.

If changes have been made to entity files, you usually have to give instructions on what to specifically add.