Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how do I mod  (Read 687 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
how do I mod
« on: February 09, 2012, 11:27:26 pm »

how do I mod the raw files?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:13:25 pm by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: how do I mod
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 11:50:43 pm »

You'd probably get a better response by posting in the modding forum...and by not asking a question in an obtuse way...

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 11:51:32 pm »

you should first know what huge thing you want to do.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 11:53:22 pm »

dwarfu: fixed the post so it's less annoying.

rephikul: lets say I want add in a new animal.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 12:09:51 am »

try the modding part of the forum. be careful thogh some of the guys there havent slept for days and they can be angered like ogres if you say the wrong thing. best is to exert your dominance by marking your territory there with a manly growl. also counting from 1 to 100 in binary works.  regarding creating a creature from scratch can be alot of work since you got to program in every limb of the creature in and what it is attatched to and whats under the skins i would suggest you look at the mod forum for exaples of creatures somone else has made for refrence. also regarding the raw files i think you just edit them with notepad. Good luck.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 02:53:23 am »

Open up your dwarf folder, go to raw, go to objects. Look at files. Screw around.

Most of it is self-explanatory but there's also ToadyOne's tutorial on what does what is buried in the creature and entity files for dwarves. The DF wiki also has some very helpful pages.

People will be reluctant to give you super-detailed instructions because it's really complicated but also super-easy to figure out. Even if you've never programmed anything in your life you'll probably be able to do basic modifications.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

nitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 03:48:04 am »

The wiki has a pretty good explanation of what various tokens do in the raws: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Creature_token

I completely understand why you would ask this here rather than in the mod forum, btw. In a way the metagame of modifying raws is part of advanced gameplay, and the mod forum is a bit intimidating and can seem like more of a place to post mods than to ask advice. I mostly figured it out myself using the wiki and experimentation; the one time I did ask a question in the mod forum the response was not very helpful.

My advice would be to start by picking an existing creature and modifying it. Open one of the creature files, like creature_large_mountain.txt, and copy a creature you want to work with into a blank notepad file. Then play with it. You might also consider asking advice in one of the main irc channels.

But also, there's a major new version coming out soon, and I am not sure what may have changed. You might want to hold off on doing anything major until it does.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:50:06 am by nitus »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 09:08:11 am »

Aside from what was said above, you should open the creature_standard file and read the notes Toady left there, quite helpful. Also, one of the best ways (in my opinion) to learn is to download a mod and look at how it was done.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 09:10:10 am »

ty this helps a lot.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 03:59:04 pm »

Press the big red mod button. Psshh. What kind of question is, HOW DO MOD.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 06:13:13 pm »

thanks for pointing out my typo.