Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cooking  (Read 1756 times)

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 06:30:51 pm »

Yeah, I remember reading the same thing. Apparently it's better to make easy meals until you have Master cooks.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 08:58:55 pm »

It depends on what you end up cooking. Some stacks can get much, much larger:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

omg, it's the biggest sausage ever.

Regarding easy vs luxury:
Easy meals does skill up cooks faster. But cooking trains up quite quickly anyway. What I usually do is have a dedicated fat/tallow kitchen, a distance away from the main food stockpile and kitchen, ideally near the depot. The tallow kitchen has a large prepared food stockpile next to it, and is set to only render fat and produce easy meals (at least until cook is legendary).

The main kitchen, with the main food stockpiles, is used to prepare luxury meals, also has it's own prepared food stockpile right next to it. The food stockpile in my dining hall is set to "take" from that prepared food stockpile.

For the most part, this setup works quite well to use tallow to train up cooking, while keeping the tallow biscuits out of the food circulation, it is all sold to hapless traders. For the main food consumption, I just prepare luxury meals regardless of cook skill level. It's more convenient that way since they take up less space. (I never store prepared food in barrels).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 09:19:57 am »

Tallow makes for very cheap food anyway
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 11:38:18 am »

Does rendering fat into tallow grand experience too? Is it a reliable way of training your cook?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 11:56:31 am »

Actually, I remember seeing on the wiki that luxury meals take longer to make (natch) and thus result in slower exp gains for your cook.
Ingredents for lavish meals will require more hauling (which can be minimized by putting stockpiles next to the kitchen), so they take slightly more time.

Also, more ingredients create a lot of kitchen clutter, which slows it down even more. Still, you can create a lot of clutter with even easy meals (if the cook grabs stacks of stuff like 25 quarry bush leaves).

You are better off with lavish meals as soon as you can afford them.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.
Pages: 1 [2]