Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is there a way to stop these bloody Dwarves from running away?  (Read 3412 times)

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to stop these bloody Dwarves from running away?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 12:57:41 am »

Perhaps installing shutters (doors / floodgates) on a lever to block view of the outside when sieges arrive?

I'm sure eyeball removal is easy, but better planning is... Better? Less fun...

nitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 01:33:37 am »

I have never understood players who get themselves into these situations.

Why do you have dark stranglers sieging you if you have no desire to fight off sieges? Just turn sieges off, problem solved.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 05:08:02 am »

Cheat-Success! Went into the raws and removed the 2eyes from the Dwarven creature file. Works like a charm.

Now I'm wondering if there are any other games where removing the eyes of your character(s) is considered a good way to solve a problem.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 06:05:12 am »

New problem, seeing any attacker when you make a military, blind-side.

You could...go into the init files and turn [INVADERS:OFF] for the meantime, if you feel ready to take them on, just turn it back on. Gameplay returns to normal, in the bloodiest way.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 06:07:58 am »

Cheat-Success! Went into the raws and removed the 2eyes from the Dwarven creature file. Works like a charm.

Now I'm wondering if there are any other games where removing the eyes of your character(s) is considered a good way to solve a problem.

Well, in tabletop RPGs, these kind of things are quite common (such as GURPS' infamous "light yourself on fire to avoid fighting in the dark")  :P

More on topic, won't this fort design become a slaughterhouse at the first crossbow squad that invades the map?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 06:09:42 am »

More on topic, won't this fort design become a slaughterhouse at the first crossbow squad that invades the map?

Only if their targets (yer Dwarves) are on the same or lower z-level as the attackers.

They're safe if they're at least 1 z-level higher than the attackers, but the LoS still matters.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 06:48:39 am »

Mod in a poison/disease/whatever that blinds things (Perhaps you could make it specific to dwarves). Dwarves which are blind will not engage or run from an enemy until they are attacked. Then their beard senses kick in like going after that =sock= in the caverns.

The modding forum would be more enlightening as to exactly how this miracle disease would be constructed.

Or skip the middle man and just mod out dwarves' eyes. But it's not as dwarfy.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 08:42:27 am »

They're safe if they're at least 1 z-level higher than the attackers, but the LoS still matters.

What?  Where did you come up with the idea that being on a higher Z level would stop your dwarves from being bearded archery targets for elite goblin archers?

Line of Sight, presence/absence of fortifications and distance are all that matter.  And the fortifications only matter if the enemies aren't elite.  If the enemies are elite, the fortifications do nothing at all.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 08:48:35 am »

What?  Where did you come up with the idea that being on a higher Z level would stop your dwarves from being bearded archery targets for elite goblin archers?

Line of Sight, presence/absence of fortifications and distance are all that matter.  And the fortifications only matter if the enemies aren't elite.  If the enemies are elite, the fortifications do nothing at all.
Yup, many a good crossbowdwarf died on the wall the day the elite bowgob and his pals came to Knifereign.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 08:58:09 am »

Well, nobody specified if they were elites or not did they?  :P

But...yes, forgot to mention that in. I was thinking 'first' meant on the first sieges, often forget that the squad type is randomized mostly.

Oops.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 09:02:13 am »

I have never understood players who get themselves into these situations.

Why do you have dark stranglers sieging you if you have no desire to fight off sieges? Just turn sieges off, problem solved.

I have desire, I merely had no weapons. As of now I have a militia's worth of crossbows and an absurd number of bolts. A pity the stranglers left only before manufacturing completed.

The problem was that I didn't realize just how much of a bunch of bloody pansies these dwarves can be. I want sieges, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with fortress defense, but I wasn't prepared to deal with one then.

Well, in tabletop RPGs, these kind of things are quite common (such as GURPS' infamous "light yourself on fire to avoid fighting in the dark")  :P

Indeed it will. Though by the time anything weapon wielding shows up I should have two sets of fully armored crossbowmen ready to go.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 11:12:11 am »

A bit late for this, but would it have been possible to mine downward and burrow dwarves underground to break line-of-sight?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 12:02:13 pm »

A bit late for this, but would it have been possible to mine downward and burrow dwarves underground to break line-of-sight?

Yes, but then there's the whole starving to death problem... No way to get them to carry food down with them.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 04:54:05 pm »

You could've always just removed the eyes the dorfy way :(
Pages: 1 [2]