Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GCS webbed cage traps  (Read 1242 times)

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
GCS webbed cage traps
« on: February 09, 2012, 04:21:44 am »

Just wonder, how does the game create a webbed cage trap?

Are they automatically applied to any and all existing cage traps in place, or are they created when they lay down new ones automatically (if you have the given material, is it GCS webs, threads?)?

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GCS webbed cage traps
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 04:42:31 am »

The game doesn't 'automatically' create a webbed cage trap. A webbed trap is basically a web on top of a trap. The games doesn't make them by itself, you need to devise a plan to add webs on top of your cages. And it's not threads, it's webs, you cannot collect them by themselves since dwarfs will destroy it if they walk over it, or turn it into threads in a loom.

The only way I can think of is to capture a GSC and make it shoot your dwarfs behind a fortification so that the webs will go over your traps.

Good luck.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 12:41:43 pm »

The "web farm" portion of the Giant Cave Spider article on the wiki can be easily set up to spray webs over an area with cage traps, allowing for relatively easy placement. Just make sure that you have the area closed off to your dwarves, or the cage traps will catch them as well!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 06:54:34 pm »

Hmmm, I see!

I guess it wouldn't be "dwarvernly" to simply churn out webbed cage traps (and easy too). 

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:31:43 pm »

A GCS cage trap isn't actually a construction, its a abuse/clever use of two features. Cage traps will capture any stunned creature, dwarves included. The web simply stuns them so they trigger the trap.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 01:15:32 am »

A GCS cage trap isn't actually a construction, its a abuse/clever use of two features. Cage traps will capture any stunned creature, dwarves included. The web simply stuns them so they trigger the trap.

So, it doesn't nescessiarly have to be a GCS that stuns them, just as long as they're stunned when they hit the cage trap?  Hmmm..

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 03:17:55 am »

So, it doesn't nescessiarly have to be a GCS that stuns them, just as long as they're stunned when they hit the cage trap?  Hmmm..

Yes and no. Falling asleep, losing consciousness from trauma or hitting the cage trap from one z-level above will also catch a creature with [TRAPAVOID] - or dwarves!

The challenge is that almost all the interesting things that have [TRAPAVOID] come with many other immunity tags that keep every immobilization effect except GCS webs from working.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.