Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noob water question  (Read 1060 times)

spadark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noob water question
« on: February 08, 2012, 07:50:23 am »

Is it possible to ask my dwarves store water resource in flask or whatever, just in case I still have water supplies in winter?
Thanks.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noob water question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 07:52:14 am »

Only military carry flasks/waterskins. It wouldn't last through winter anyway - not by a long shot.

You need a proper cistern, and/or stores of alcohol. Dwarves love alcohol.

spadark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 07:58:35 am »

Thank you for the answer, although, most of my dwarve had just died due to thirsty.
Have to restart again. :'(

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 08:04:12 am »

FUN :D

If you start to die of thirst your best hope is to dig down to the caverns, hope they have water, and hope there's nothing too nasty down there.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 09:37:04 am »

Only injured dwarves (recovering in a hospital or other bed) require water.  Other than that, they want booze, and will only drink water in an emergency (lack of booze is an emergency).

If your dwarves are thirsty, the first answer should be "get more booze", not "get more water".

Craftdwarf's workshop + Stonecrafter + Stones = Rock pots

Herbalist (Plant Gathering) + surface shrubbery = Plants

Still + Brewer + (Most) Plants + Rock pots = Booze + Seeds

Farm Plot + Planter + Seeds = more Plants

(If you can't do above-ground farming, due to lack of soil or lack of non-mountain biomes, then piercing a cavern becomes a very high priority.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:39:39 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 09:55:10 am »

Booze is definitely the priority, but a cistern is really important for the hospital, and just preventing small mistakes from killing you. Like going into winter and suddenly realizing you have no plump spawn. Oops, no booze, no water, dead.

spadark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 10:15:09 am »

Thanks for those tips. I checked out wiki but still dont understand how to build a reservoir or cistern. It said build like walls. I dont quite get it. Anyone knows how to do that?

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 10:22:19 am »

when on a constantly freezing biome with lots (2 layers thick) of ice (glaciers) you can thaw ice by making it cave in (and if underground it will stay that way

basically make a christen below the ice, and above the cistern make an elevated platform as wide as the cistern to make it all "inside"

then support the ice with a "support" and dig out the edges so it would fit right in the cistern, make the support collapse with a lever and the ice will crush into water

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1415325/afbeeldingen/Naamloos.jpg
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:53:06 am by blizzerd »

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 10:32:18 am »

There are 2 parts to a cistern. Part one, make it. Just dig out a big hole. You could make walls around it and achieve the same thing, but digging is far easier. That's the easy part.

Part 2 is getting the water into that hole. Generally, if your water source is the same level or above you, this is trivial. Just dig a hole to it, make a floodgate with lever, then open it up.

If it's below you you'll need to look into screw pumps to bring it up to you.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 12:23:09 pm »

Thanks for those tips. I checked out wiki but still dont understand how to build a reservoir or cistern. It said build like walls. I dont quite get it. Anyone knows how to do that?
Personally I usually go with the "hole" method (though make sure that it is underground, else wise if yoga re in a temperate area your reservoir might freeze in winter, which is when you will probably need it anyways). As for walls, they can be built under the (b)-(C) menu.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

spadark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 04:41:53 pm »

Thanks guys. I think I ll go with the hole idea.

@blizzerd: The picture really makes sence. Thanks a lot.
 BTW, which workshop can thaw ice into water?

BTWBTW,the last last game, my fort can produce a lot food,like about 50 dwarves and food storage s still growing above 1000? unit, I was so delighted, but goblins  killed all. Better train a few soliders next time.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 05:54:42 pm »

BTW, which workshop can thaw ice into water?
I know of no workshop that can do that.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 06:08:41 pm »

I believe someone came up with a custom workshop that enabled you to take a bucket and an ice stone and fill the bucket with water, but in vanilla there are no workshops that can do that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.