Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to add more quivers to units and why don't goblins attack me?  (Read 526 times)

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I read somewhere that if you designate wood bolts for practice and metal bolts for combat then make sure the dwarves have access to both because they won't shoot if they only have wood with them. I had problems before with my men running out of ammo and not picking up more ven though the stockpile was right next to them. So I'd like to know how to add different types of bolts to a dwarf at the same time (probably multiple quivers?). Also, if that's not ossible, how to make them switch bolts from stockpiles and reload from stockpiles?

Second question, it's been 3 years now and I am yet to have an ambush. There were some snatchers early on as usual, but generally after 3-4 snachers an ambush would come at around the end of the second year I think. So what's going on? I'm at a GOOD area so maybe the goblins don't come to good areas? Or this is just random luck and they'll come eventually? Also if they do will the army be bigger because they took longer?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to add more quivers to units and why don't goblins attack me?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 07:15:45 pm »

So I'd like to know how to add different types of bolts to a dwarf at the same time (probably multiple quivers?).

Not possible as far as I know.

Also, if that's not ossible, how to make them switch bolts from stockpiles and reload from stockpiles?

What generally works for me is cancelling their station order and then giving them a new station order one tile over.  They'll reload before moving to the new spot.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 07:46:03 pm »

if your on an island then no goblins will come. also if you have snachers then you CAN get attacked by a siege or ambush. also have you tried to provoke them? tales of gilded doors, golden seats and cotton candy beds and enough crafts to fill a small dungeon usually make even the most rational goblin army come through a hallway for serrated glass discs. so start smelting gold bars if you want an attack  ;)
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 11:59:19 pm »

A quiver can hold a maximum of 50 bolts. Your ammo page should look something like bolts (no type specified to avoid bugs) CT 500 if you want max load. Also double check that you've got enough bolts with a manager.

Marksdwarves need to become civilians to pick up more ammo. A dwarf who still has ammo and an enemy to target will continue shooting and only become a civilian when they run out.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.