Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Setting up a well  (Read 1580 times)

Faeryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Setting up a well
« on: February 06, 2012, 01:36:09 pm »

So I have been attempting in my last few fortresses to set up wells, and I cannot figure out how to do so the the water is not muddy, because I think the 'dusting of mud' is making water drawn from the well stagnant. When I check buckets it says 'stagnant' water. Most of my attempts have just been opening a hole in the side of a brook or river, but there is no way for me to get the water so that it doesn't touch at least one dirt/sand/clay square so it always ends up muddy. Any suggestions?
Give them a nice trap gauntlet to run, maybe a "dodge-me" trap over a 10-z pit lined with menacing copper spikes, so they explode into greasy goblin gibs on impact and leave the lovely iron bits for your dwarves to collect at leisure.

Fusty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up a well
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:37:37 pm »

Only the bottom tiles in a pool will be muddy.  If you fill your pool up to 2+ levels you will ensure the bucket only dips into the clean top layer. 

Who wants to drink from the bottom of the well anyway, blech!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 01:42:30 pm »

Only the bottom tiles in a pool will be muddy.  If you fill your pool up to 2+ levels you will ensure the bucket only dips into the clean top layer.
This. And it's the fact that there is water touching the ground (not necessarily dirt or sand, any ground at all), that makes it muddy. You could have mud in an entirely constructed stone reservoir if it was the bottom layer of said reservoir.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Faeryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 01:52:57 pm »

Alright, so why is that when I use K and Enter on the bucket the water is stagnant? Or is because they are taking water from the murky pools and I just don't see it....?
Give them a nice trap gauntlet to run, maybe a "dodge-me" trap over a 10-z pit lined with menacing copper spikes, so they explode into greasy goblin gibs on impact and leave the lovely iron bits for your dwarves to collect at leisure.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 02:08:18 pm »

Mud and stagnant water are not the same thing.

Water always deposits mud on any surface it travels over.  It does not matter if the water is fresh, stagnant, or salty.  You can't prevent this.  You can stop buckets from picking up any of the mud by making the water under the well at least two Z-levels deep.  Only the bottom layer will have mud in it, so water taken from the layers above that will not be muddy.

Stagnant water seems to behave similar to salty water, in that if a tile has ever had stagnant water in it, any water that is ever placed in that tile will become stagnant.  Stagnant water also seems to spread like salt water, in that if any part of a body of water is stagnant, the entire thing will be stagnant.  Furthermore, it is likely that all the water on your site is stagnant.

The reliable way to make a source of fresh, clean water is to build an above-ground cistern, making sure none of the tiles of the cistern have ever had stagnant or salt water in them, and fill it via one or more pumps.  Make the cistern two or more Z-levels high and wells built over it should always give clean, fresh, non-muddy, and non-stagnant water.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Faeryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 02:38:28 pm »

The way I set up the well was by digging out a tunnel, that did not at any point have stagnant water touching it and letting water flow out of a river to fill the tunnel, then I constructed a well over it so I don't see why the water would be stagnant.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 02:52:07 pm »

The river water may have been stagnant to begin with.  Have you tried constructing a well directly over the river and seeing if that generates stagnant water?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Faeryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 02:53:13 pm »

Why would the river water be stagnant?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 02:59:56 pm »

Because Dwarf Fortress laughs at your logic and real-world-based expectations.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 05:03:15 pm »

Because Dwarf Fortress laughs at your logic and real-world-based expectations.
Or if it had areas of slow moving water.
I'll just go out this door...

AND ENTER THROUGH ANOTHER DOOR OH YEAH

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 03:54:25 am »

Indeed. With pumps you can purify water. It's the only sure-fire way. Just like someone said elsewhere, stagnant or salty water spreads like electricity - any pure water it touches turn instantly into stagnant or salty water, including entire rivers or brooks, permanently. So be careful. Build a pool/cistern, then pump water into it.