Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thunderbird vs. My Only Military Dwarf  (Read 1394 times)

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
Thunderbird vs. My Only Military Dwarf
« on: February 05, 2012, 12:16:25 am »

Okay... this is sort of a genesis question, since I'm asking about a creature I believe it adds. There is a named Thunderbird flying around outside my fortress at the moment, and while it isn't really causing any problems (I believe my home civ died out or something, I literally only got 2 waves of migrants and then absolutely no contact from them or any other civ for that matter...) I would like to kill the big fella. For sport, you know? I only have one military dwarf, however. So my question is can I kill this thing with said dwarf at expert swordsmanship and expert fighting? All his other combat skills are crap. I'm mostly worried since, as mentioned before, my home civ stopped sending migrants. Can't afford to get my only combat oriented dwarf swiped up by that thing. At the same time, I want some thunderbird leather socks.

While I'm asking questions, I'd also like to know if there's anything I can do about this loss of contact from everyone. And I mean everyone; not a single elven caravan has decided to come to bless the halls of Hoarypapers with their innards.  :(
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderbird vs. My Only Military Dwarf
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 01:30:15 am »

You need at least two dwarves to take on megabeasts, or things bigger than a normal dwarf.

Normally, if in a duel, the bigger opponent will keep on charging the smaller one, pretty much in trouble if that's a single dwarf.

You will need armor, iron or better against that thing.

On the contact: before embarking, press the 'tab' key to view which civ can reach you. Any civ with -------- is hostile to you and provides metal and fun as their tributes to your fortress, just along with their owners.

Also, Genesis right? Elves are better there and not all eat the bodies of those who died in battle.

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 02:01:15 am »

I normally spare the Dusk and Ezrakam elves... The Sylvies I burn in my volcano. :D

And yeah, I know how to check which civs can reach me. I just neglected to do so before embarking. I don't know who I'm in contact with, nor why I wouldn't be. I'm not on some un-embarkable mountain or in the middle of an ocean or anything. Could that be the issue though, I'm just too remote? Because that would be saddening.
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 05:31:28 am »

Your dude has no chance against that bird. On the other hand, it'll tear some goblins/illithids/demons/serpentfolk/centaurs/beastmen apart when they invade.

I'm afraid being the last bastion of dwarvenkind means no friendly forces enter your map, ever.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 12:25:22 pm »

well if no migrants will come you'll have an excuse to mod in child labor, forbid abortions and expropriate the unterdwarves! Heil Armok!

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 01:04:28 pm »

Well, taking all of your input into account... One dwarf went crazy, had to put him down at the cost of several other dwarves, which only served to make everyone depressed. Then I got one heck of a tantrum spiral, dwindled my fort down to a good 10-11 dorfs. At this point I just said "F*ck it." and opened up the front gate. Virtus the thunderbird, having waited some 6-8 years for this moment just derping around outside, wasted no time flying into my fort and slaughtering my few remaining dwarves. Oh, and, that single military dwarf? Had to lock him in his own barracks because he went berserk.

Losing is fun. :D