Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Adventure Mode questions.  (Read 2075 times)

APV

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
DF Adventure Mode questions.
« on: February 04, 2012, 04:15:19 pm »

Hello.
I have question:
How to treat wounds? Some wounds are not treated with time. In the "Health" menu there are tabs "treatment" and "history", so i think there should be doctors. I've found some in village, can they heal me? If yes, than how?
P.S. sorry for my grammatical mistakes, English isn't my native language.

Pawel1997PL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Adventure Mode questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 04:39:31 pm »

If it doesn't heal over time when traveling or waiting, it won't heal.

And Yes, there should be adventure mode doctors, I hope they get introduced soon, like in 2 or 3 years.

EDIT: And don't worry if you aren't english, big part of the Bay12 comunity isn't  english. (As long as your post is readable and doesn't have extreme spelling mistakes its ok)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:42:32 pm by Pawel1997PL »

APV

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 04:46:42 pm »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 04:52:44 pm »

sirquote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 01:59:19 pm »

Adventure Mode would appreciate doctors that can treat diseases and curses but no more than that IMO. The fear of losing the ability to grasp/stand is what keeps me preemptively strategic, losing this would make the game lose some of its values.

*Fear the peg leg* :P

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 02:04:35 pm »

soon, like in 2 or 3 years.
Sarcasm?

This game's estimated development time to get to actual release version(its currently in alpha, aka not even beta) is from 20 years to 30 years  :P Yes, thats how huge project it is even without taking it in account that its being made by one guy basically.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 02:32:16 pm »

Sarcasm?

This game's estimated development time to get to actual release version(its currently in alpha, aka not even beta) is from 20 years to 30 years  :P Yes, thats how huge project it is even without taking it in account that its being made by one guy basically.

Well, it's pretty good after all.

Not with a lot of games will it work like, you start playing them as young and then when you retire you finally have all the features enabled and can really start the game. Unless Toady is like living on pizza, cola and stress and dies of a heart attack at 50. Or gets bored, which... yeah... probably would have happened already.

Also, non-English speaker posting, it doesn't matter.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Rallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 07:30:40 am »

Pretty much. I just looked up the development history, and it took four years of development before it was released as an open alpha project (23a, the two-dimensional version that Boatmurdered was played on) in 2006. Then it took another four years for things to get properly 3D with multiple z-levels in 40d, which was released in 2010. And from there it took about a year until .31 was ready and we could finally enjoy cavern layers and the Clown Car. And I haven't been keeping up with the development blog, but I imagine the next version with all its fancy Adventurer Mode stuff probably won't be out for at least another six months.

And when it does finally come out it'll probably have bugs every bit as surreal as the chair-laying ducks, acid rain, and mass-murdering carp of previous versions. And once the bugs are out Toady will set himself another big development goal for new features that takes another year or two.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 08:31:02 am »

If it doesn't heal over time when traveling or waiting, it won't heal.

And Yes, there should be adventure mode doctors,
From my past experiences with mods one could build a hospital(dwarf fort) then retire your adventurer there then use Dfmode to switch from adventure mode to fort mode.
then use runesmith to alter the creature's civ to match up with the forts and usually the dwarf doctors would treat the wounded adventurer... though I don't dive into healing wounds that way for I could just use the revive function in Dfusion to bring back my character to full health.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 01:12:35 pm »

the thinking is that releases will get quicker as more ofthe game is made and Toady gets better at codeing
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 01:31:23 pm »

Pretty much. I just looked up the development history, and it took four years of development before it was released as an open alpha project (23a, the two-dimensional version that Boatmurdered was played on) in 2006. Then it took another four years for things to get properly 3D with multiple z-levels in 40d, which was released in 2010. And from there it took about a year until .31 was ready and we could finally enjoy cavern layers and the Clown Car. And I haven't been keeping up with the development blog, but I imagine the next version with all its fancy Adventurer Mode stuff probably won't be out for at least another six months.

And when it does finally come out it'll probably have bugs every bit as surreal as the chair-laying ducks, acid rain, and mass-murdering carp of previous versions. And once the bugs are out Toady will set himself another big development goal for new features that takes another year or two.
Actually at the current rate the forum (and Toady himself) are predicting that the next version should be out sometime by the end of the month. (Though of course it will still be fairly bugged up for the first while).

Sarcasm?
Well, it's pretty good after all.

Not with a lot of games will it work like, you start playing them as young and then when you retire you finally have all the features enabled and can really start the game. Unless Toady is like living on pizza, cola and stress and dies of a heart attack at 50. Or gets bored, which... yeah... probably would have happened already.

Also, non-English speaker posting, it doesn't matter.
Yeah I believe that in a recent interview Toady stated that he was making DF the rest of his life's work pretty much. And it will suck when he dies, though currently he is set up so that the source code for DF will be released shortly after he dies, assuming nobody killed him in order to have the source code released.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.