Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I can't build a bridge over the cave river.  (Read 867 times)

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
I can't build a bridge over the cave river.
« on: September 13, 2006, 12:31:00 am »

I built a bridge over the cavern river but I didn't like it's position, so I removed it and tried to build another.

The only problem is, I have my best miner trapped on the other side of the river, and no matter what I do, I can't get anyone to build a bridge to the other side.  I've tried 5 or 6 times already.  The miner dwarf is in the starving mode, and I want to keep the dwarf from dying (as she is the fastest miner I have).  Is there anything I can do?

Also, can rocks get lost in the river (i.e. when you break/destroy something, the unused rocks are hidden in the river).

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
Re: I can't build a bridge over the cave river.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 12:45:00 am »

Ok, yeah, I was able to build a bridge on a different spot.  So I think that destroying a bridge causes stones in the river that can block bridges.

However, now the dwarf is stuck on hunting for small animal and not going and getting food from storage.  I would think that once they are starving they should go for the most convenient food possible.

Jim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 04:02:00 pm »

one way to deactivate the hunting bugginess is to deactivate their hunting task, and then draft them into the military, then quickly draft them out of the military.  they won't continue hunt afterwards.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 04:43:00 pm »

There can be a lot of reasons why a bridge can't get built, based on the path finding and the stones you select.  Stones can get stuck in channels, but they don't occupy the natural river.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!