Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I've got plenty food but Dwarfs say no food available.  (Read 787 times)

VikingGarland

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I've got plenty food but Dwarfs say no food available.
« on: February 05, 2012, 01:21:58 pm »

I've got a problem. I've got a nice store of food. Stocks screen says 705. But none of my dwarfs seem to eat it and instead they're now hunting vermin.

It's rather annoying. There is food. And there is nothing in their way to get it.

I don't know if there is something I'm missing or I've lucked out and got the lowest IQ dwarfs ever.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: I've got plenty food but Dwarfs say no food available.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 01:25:14 pm »

Check extremely carefully to make sure that you haven't accidentally blocked off a corridor, removed some stairs, locked some doors, or confined your dwarves to a burrow that won't let them eat. Even if you think you haven't do it anyways, since the last 4 people who have had similar problems like this all swore that they hadn't done any of those but then discovered they actually had (but only after several dwarves died).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

VikingGarland

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 01:28:50 pm »

Dwarfs are storing stuff in the stockpiles the food sits in. (I have a dedicated food stockpile and a couple of overflow rooms where anything that doesn't fit in the others goes in)

Just not eating it.

VikingGarland

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 01:33:31 pm »

Just took an in depth look at my stockpiles. Turns out I actually have no food and just empty pots/barrels and stocks screen is wrong. Ah well at least now I know why they're not eating.

Perhaps not wrong. Just me not looking close enough at it I guess. Thanks anyway
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:37:42 pm by VikingGarland »

Ganthan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 01:57:24 pm »

It's important to note that several items considered "Food" are actually inedible in their initial state, such as numerous plants, fat and tallow, syrup, sugar, flour, etc.  They need to be properly prepared by threshing, cooking or whatever for the dwarves to actually eat them.

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 02:34:54 pm »

make sure you have a bookkeeper assigned, and adjust their accuracy to highest. Make sure they have a nice little office to work in too, because it will take a while but you'll have accurate, up to date info in your stocks screen. Build a kitchen and start cranking out meals. A dwarf will be content to eat raw plump helmets but a high quality prepared meal will give them happy thoughts (maybe they should be called 'happy meals'?), as well as last longer in storage.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 04:23:05 pm »

(maybe they should be called 'happy meals'?)

*slap*
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 04:27:37 pm »

As an emergency solution, you could slaughter some animals, meat and organs are edible raw. Including guts... brrr.

Or enable the plant gathering work with everyone and send them to gather plants.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 04:29:36 pm »

Has the military claimed all food?