Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two questions unrelated to each other  (Read 528 times)

Clownie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two questions unrelated to each other
« on: February 04, 2012, 12:44:43 am »

First off - my count mandated cap hopper leather items. He's been banning cap hopper leather exports since he became the count, along with banning exports of and mandating shields and ballista arrows. Turns out he really likes those three things. Now, shields and ballista arrows are okay - at least they actually have practical applications. But cap hopper leather items? I'd never seen a cap hopper and as such had no clue what it was, so I checked the wiki. Turns out it's a kind of underground vermin.

Can I even skin vermin? If so, how?

Secondly, a possessed child made a crundle bone shield. Is this shield better than a masterwork steel shield?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Two questions unrelated to each other
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 01:31:55 am »

I don't think there's any way to get vermin leather. You'll just have to bear some leatherworkers being subjected to dwarven justice.

For blocking, the shield would be superior to any other non-artifact shield since block chance is unrelated to shield material.
For bashing, a metal shield would be better.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 09:33:23 pm »

Let him appreciate his ballista bolts VERY closely. Preferably multiple times.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 10:28:49 pm »

Cap hoppers are vermin, and it is not possible to create leather from the skin of vermin at the moment.  This is an impossible to fulfill mandate.  This is why you should carefully check a dwarf's material preferences before promoting him to nobility.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 05:53:34 am »

1. Nope, it's a bug when a noble mandates something horrible. Ever had one mandate wagon wood items? :S

2. That crundle bone shield will be much better at blocking than any other shield you make, material doesn't affect it at all.
The only time material is taken into account is when a Dorf uses it to smash brains in. In which case, copper shields reign supreme.
Despite the superiority of the crundle bone shield, I recommend you throw it into semi molten rock immediately.