Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Nicknames disappearing after kills (likely due to bad utility)  (Read 574 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

In order to better track my military, I've given each of them a custom profession (to indicate their squad) and nickname (to indicate position within said squad). For some odd reason, though, when one of them scores a kill, the nickname will sometimes disappear. In most circumstances, nicknames seem to vanish during melee kills (e.g. from my hammerdwarves), while my marksdwarves don't seem to get this as frequently.

[EDIT] Version was actually straight 40d, not 40d11

Also, I rather highly suspect that Dwarf Manager is the culprit here, so this can probably be safely ignored.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 10:28:15 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d11] Nicknames disappearing after kills
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 12:11:27 pm »

thanks for posting this. I might've been very confused later, because I've given my dwarves nicknames so that I can identify their weapon type when shuffling squads about.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Nicknames disappearing after kills (likely due to bad utility)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 03:36:06 pm »

Recently I have been generating this exact problem. When ever a melee attack from a custom named dwarf scores a kill the custom name gets removed. I use dwarf therapist but even on the game where I never used dwarf therapist the problem persists.

v0.28.181.40d
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:39:49 pm by Master »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: [40d] Nicknames disappearing after kills (likely due to bad utility)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 04:06:52 pm »

In all likelihood, the way Dwarf Manager and Dwarf Therapist assign nicknames to dwarves isn't doing it "properly", resulting in their nicknames going away once they gain an extra name from their kills.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.