Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: video-related crash?  (Read 370 times)

Rick C

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
video-related crash?
« on: August 28, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »

I have a Dell Optiplex with--I believe--Intel 915 integrated graphics, running XP SP2.  If the screen saver (I happen to use 3D Flowerbox with hardware acceleration on) kicks in, it causes the computer to spontaneously reboot if I've got DF running.  (I'm using a fairly old driver--I have downloaded the current one from Dell's site but haven't installed it yet.)  When I reboot, windows complains that it's recovered from a serious error.  I let it report the error, and it told me that it was a driver issue.

I turned off acceleration in the screen saver and the comp doesn't crash any more.  Not sure if this is something that can be fixed on your end, just mentioning it.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: video-related crash?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 11:24:00 pm »

Is 3d Flowerbox a standard screen saver program?

The DF code includes some stuff to disable standard screen savers while it is running.  This is rather necessary to insure there are no conflicts within the drawing system.  If your flowerbox is not a standard screen saver then it is likely the only problem.  You can safely keep accelerations on in this case.

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Rick C

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 10:30:00 am »

Yes, 3d Flowerbox is a standard screensaver that's shipped with Windows at least since W2K.  Like I said, it'll crash the the display adapter driver every time the screen saver kicks in, automatically causing a reboot, UNLESS I turn off acceleration in the screen saver.

It's probably a bug in the driver, not the game, but as I said, I thought I'd mention it.  I'm going to try to install the latest driver today and see if that helps.

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 01:53:00 am »

3d flower box is a screensaver which dates back to windows 95 era, and predates DirectX. It uses OpenGL and your video card drivers must not know what to do since DF also uses OpenGL, and when both run at once it must cause your drivers to crash.
Try upgrading the drivers first, or just switch to a non-opengl screensaver.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"