Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trouble with napalm  (Read 824 times)

roflgar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lethargy
    • View Profile
trouble with napalm
« on: February 05, 2012, 01:14:09 pm »

Basically, I wanted to create an attack that would cover the target in a superhot, burning liquid.
here's my material definition
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and here's the attack itself
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
temperature is turned on, but even when they have their internal organs covered in the stuff, it doesn't seem to phase them (except for the part where I stabbed an internal organ)

can liquids not catch fire in DF?
is this a case of heat damage simply being wonky (ala throwing people into a volcano only to have them suffocate)?

help appreciated, though if this can't work out I at least have the option of just rotting their brains ^_^
NatureLabor:  largest concentration of elf-loving dwarves and a few dwarfs trying to beat that out of them.
-TerrisH

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: trouble with napalm
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 01:44:01 pm »

You use INJECT_EXTRACT, which means that it enters the bloodstream of the victim. Arent you looking for something more of a: Breath attack, similar to dragons have ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 01:49:00 pm »

Add [ENTERS_BLOOD] in the after defining the extract. And maybe add in a useless syndrome, just to make sure it works.

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 06:43:30 pm »

The only thing I can think of is that injecting via a normal attack may not actually create any measurable amount of it (enough for it to have its own temperature), but simply applies syndromes of the injected material.

Have you tried making the napalm attack into one of the breath attacks?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 07:40:07 pm »

I have successfully created injected substances that cause the target to melt and/or catch on fire.  The substance I use is as follows:

Code: [Select]
        [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:POISON:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
            [ENTERS_BLOOD]
    [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:60000]

and the attack it uses is thus:

Code: [Select]
[ATTACK:SLASH:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:CLAW]
[ATTACK_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:slash:slashes]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:POISON:LIQUID:100:100]

This invariably causes the target to melt and burn after an attack which successfully injects venom.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.