Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Civilization(s)?  (Read 836 times)

Oranpine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Civilization(s)?
« on: February 04, 2012, 04:02:27 pm »

On the map world screen when you're looking around for sites, when you tab through and see the different Dwarven Civilizations, some of them don't always appear on the map (I use a tileset) in the Blue Dwarven looking symbol. What exactly does this mean? Are they devastated by Goblins, Food problems, etc?   Are they a new Dwarven Civilization? 

Oh, and the more 'Blue Dwarven' symbols there are, the bigger the Dwarven Civilization?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:05:31 pm by Oranpine »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Civilization(s)?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:00:38 pm »

The blue civilization markers on the map show the territory the civilization mostly controls, but it only shows a world tile as controlled if there's enough settlements to extend their claim across enough of the tile (all of it, perhaps?). If a civilization only has a few settlements, or their settlements are widely scattered, they might not be counted as controlling any world tiles, so none will be displayed when you select them.

It usually means that, for whatever reason, that civilization either hasn't grown much since world gen started or has gotten beaten back during world gen. All civilizations appear at the start of time, so there's no "new" civs, only big and small ones. And yes, generally more blue statue symbols means a bigger civilization with more settlements and, more importantly, a greater variety of materials available.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Oranpine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 05:36:13 pm »

Thanks and if you're curious I started (not knowing) with a Parent Civilization with no blue on the map. So, I'm in for a Surprise and eventually fun.    8)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 05:52:40 pm »

Thanks and if you're curious I started (not knowing) with a Parent Civilization with no blue on the map. So, I'm in for a Surprise and eventually fun.    8)

You might get no migrants beyond the first two waves :S

Oranpine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 07:05:08 pm »

Well, I got a Dwarven Caravan and they had like 3 Steel Anvils, Steel Boots, lots of spider silk, cloth, leather, cages. They requested Splints, Headgear, and something else as things they wanted the most.

I think I'm going to die though because the Caravan brought no seeds, and I only brought food and about 50 Plump Helmet spawns, and I'm out of seeds. I'm not really sure why, I thought when Dwarves ate Plump Helmets, they left seeds then you could just re-plant them. I think next Embark I'll take two Grower/Brewer(s) with 100 Plump Helmet Spawns. By the way, do Strawberries HAVE to be on the surface or can you grow them in caves?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:12:07 pm by Oranpine »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 08:15:14 pm »

Eating plump helmets raw should leave seeds, as does brewing them for dwarven wine. If you're cooking them, though, that doesn't.

Strawberries have to be planted above ground, but not necessarily on the surface. That is, you can plant them beneath a roof if you want to, and some people go to the trouble of removing several layers of surface then roofing it over so they can have their above-ground plant farms right next to the rest of their farms, even if that's below the third cavern level.

You could also get more underground plant seeds by finding the caverns and sending herbalists out.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!