Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wells and cavern pools  (Read 587 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wells and cavern pools
« on: February 09, 2012, 02:26:51 pm »

Through a strange series of circumstances, I've built my hospital right next to the lake in a cavern. Will anything bad happen if the doctors just use that water directly (1 z-level deep)? Should I build a well over part of the lake?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wells and cavern pools
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 02:49:37 pm »

I believe water only 1 z level deep is counted as muddy, and therefore substandard. It is also possible for fun to appear from the depths.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wells and cavern pools
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 08:51:43 pm »

Water drawn directly from 1-z deep cavern lakes is "laced with mud", this will cause a bad thought if drunk and increase infection chance. However if you mine/channel out some new tiles and let the water flow into the dug out space, then water drawn from the newly dug out tiles will be clean. Muddiness comes from the tile under the water having the "pile of mud" quality, and the newly dug out tiles will only have "a dusting of mud" which isn't enough to cause the water to be muddy.

A well does nothing to purify water, for safety I would recommend walling off the lake (if applicable), and building a grate over the tile you're collecting water from. A grate is the most secure method for keeping out fun.