Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [176.38a] No sieges anymore?  (Read 667 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[176.38a] No sieges anymore?
« on: February 21, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »

I generated a new world with 176.38a and started a fortress. I am having CRAZY amounts of ambushers (3-4 squads each year more or less) since year 2 (I'm on year 10) but yet I didn't got a single siege.
These ambushers go to my entrance but I always got the ambush message when they appear.
This is a bug or a new feature? Sieges aren't supposed to happen anymore, only ambushes? Because they are damn hard (and fun) but I would like the old sieges (many goblins, trolls, etc)

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [176.38a] No sieges anymore?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 12:57:00 am »

I'd gone about 4 years without one on my ported over fort. Shortly after the four year mark I had one show up, although they were all organized into different groups of their weapon specialization lead by one bowgoblin, only one weapon type was present in the group they came in with and they came in in several different parts of the map. Was nice, made them easy to kill =P

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 05:21:00 am »

Well, it wasn't a bug it looks, I had one in the eleventh year.

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 06:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Hypcso:
<STRONG>I had one show up, although they were all organized into different groups of their weapon specialization lead by one bowgoblin, only one weapon type was present in the group they came in with and they came in in several different parts of the map. Was nice, made them easy to kill =P</STRONG>

Yeah, you say that now, but wait until one of the groups is all bowgoblins.

... I miss those 63 dwarves, it's hard to run a fort that big with only 20 left ...

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 07:26:00 am »

You know, through the many past versions, including the 2d one, I have never seen a troll with a goblin siege party. I can't possibly fathom how I haven't.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 07:29:00 am »

I think it depends on the location of the goblin civ. I've seen trolls but never beak dogs. (Do they still exist?)

Ma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 08:19:00 am »

(Beak dogs do still exist. They ate one of my dwarves. Those were wild beak dogs though, not tame goblin-mounted ones.)

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 03:34:00 pm »

right now, as ive understood it, "its the first army arc release, complete with no armies" -Toady one

perhaps we will have to wait untill 38b before siege come back, and the ambushes are this persistent just to fill the shoes of the sieges

een failing lately?

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 04:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by thvaz:
<STRONG>I generated a new world with 176.38a and started a fortress. I am having CRAZY amounts of ambushers (3-4 squads each year more or less) since year 2 (I'm on year 10) but yet I didn't got a single siege.
These ambushers go to my entrance but I always got the ambush message when they appear.
This is a bug or a new feature? Sieges aren't supposed to happen anymore, only ambushes? Because they are damn hard (and fun) but I would like the old sieges (many goblins, trolls, etc)</STRONG>

How many dwarves do (did) you have?

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »

Sieges definitely happen in the current build [27_176_38a], though they seem a bit different. My experience so far (just one fort, which just happened to be one worldmap square away from a goblin fort) is they indeed are splitting up based on what their weapon is. Some intriguing elements though, the second siege consisted of three squads, each led by a weaponmaster / local leader, coming from different map edges. That goblin hammer-lord made a fine addition to my zoo.

This did make them a bit easier to contend with because killing each squad's leader seemed to make them retreat, and the leader came first so they naturally would end up dead first. Not a new issue, and not all bad. It does give the sense that goblins are craven cowards which may very well be the point. I think it might be better if they had a longer pause before retreating though to simulate the goblins who are fighting not realizing right away that their leader is dead.

That the squads were strung out by their different starting positions also made it a bit easier, but had my fortress multiple entrances to defend they might've required me to divide my forces, so again, not bad.