Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist for Items?  (Read 1877 times)

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Therapist for Items?
« on: February 03, 2012, 06:10:10 pm »

Don't know if this has been done already, but I figured why not have a program like DT for items.

I'm a bit annoyed at having to go into the stocks screen, then scroll all the way to bars just to see if I have enough coke/charcoal left to smelt/craft with!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist for Items?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 06:17:04 pm »

while they're at it, how's bout a DF like thingee that makes managing the military easier
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:07:14 pm »

when checking bars i find it fairly easy, I press down about 3/4 times and then press '3' as many times as you need, which should normally (so long as you have most categories of items on your list) land you straight on bars! :D 
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:11:23 pm »

Considering all the fine detail control you can have with the current set-up, I think what we have now works just fine.  I haven't bothered with patrol routes, and there may be other things I don't know about, but everything else is pretty simple ... its just a bit overwhelming until you figure out what all the options are about.

Making uniforms, making squads, assigning uniforms to existing squad positions, configuring schedules, if you read the text on screen it is all pretty clear.  Knowing what end result you are looking for and having a guideline to follow would definitely help, however.  I guess to that end I should see if there is anything I can add to the wiki page based on the knowledge I've gained from playing around with various settings. ;)

As for On Topic ... you do know you can use the Page Up/Page Down keys to get to the bars faster, yes? :D  For me its z -> stocks -> pg dn -> pg dn -> arrow down a few times (four?) to bars.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 09:50:05 pm »

Whenever I want to check metal/coke availability I just b,B,enter to build vertical bars and check my numbers from there, canceling out when I'm done.

Less useful for other items I'll admit...
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:57:03 pm »

Z, right, right, enter down 3 times, page down, page down.
It takes me like 3 seconds.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 11:00:39 pm »

Yep, z>pagedownx2>downx4 gets you right on bars.  The only annoying thing about it is you have to pass over stones, which usually makes the game hang a second cuz there are usually about 8293423847234 of them.

Now, DT for military equipment would be great... so sick of reassigning the same stupid weapon over and over.  If only the military screen took out weapons already assigned to someone else...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 11:21:16 pm »

Yep, z>pagedownx2>downx4 gets you right on bars.  The only annoying thing about it is you have to pass over stones, which usually makes the game hang a second cuz there are usually about 8293423847234 of them.
I have long since gotten used to page-downing and page-upping 'past' the stones, in order to approach the near-stones items in several single steps from the other side and avoid said (edit: somehow truncated this para, reinstating) pause, or if I intrinsically know how many downs I would go, do that on the initial screen, before the page ups/downs.

I did start planning a Stockpile Therapist back in 40d times, based on the DFHack tools, but I don't think I got anywhere near getting it in any implementable form.

The idea for the Stockpile Therapist was to identify all stockpiles and match against all customisable categorisations (which have changed at least twice since I did that, especially where it comes to stone blocks) to both have a list of stockpiles and how full they are and (if I could get it) a list of all items not stockpiled, and also to see the sub-categorisations with numbers for free/used relevant to that and the number of 'free' objects that likewise match.  And thus (by in the main two ways one might want to do so) you could see both unhandled over-abundances and low-stock conditions.

Big project, and vague in parts for all that.  No wonder I didn't get very far. ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:41:57 pm by Starver »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 11:23:36 pm »

Z, right, right, enter down 3 times, page down, page down.
It takes me like 3 seconds.

Stocks menu is bad.  I am building a green glass megastructure, and have almost 100,000 greenglass bars allocated to construction so far.  Checking bars in stocks screen knocks DF to its knees for several minutes.

The b,B method works better.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 12:15:30 am »

I dump unwanted stones in the magma, or atom-smash them. That helps with the lag. Nobody needs 14,294 pieces of gneiss.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 12:36:28 am »

I dump unwanted stones in the magma, or atom-smash them. That helps with the lag. Nobody needs 14,294 pieces of gneiss.

Eh... DFHack's "autodump destroy" is faster than either ;)