Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Knapping and magic nature  (Read 2379 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Knapping and magic nature
« on: February 02, 2012, 03:28:42 pm »

Hey,

I just found out that you can give dwarves natural skill in magic_nature and knapping, resulting in Druids and Knappers running around your fortress.

Any way to rename those, wih profession names ?

And any way that this can be used for something ? Like a caste of druids who are the only ones that can use a certain workshop ? I couldnt find labortoken for knapping and magic_nature though..
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Re: Knapping and magic nature
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 04:49:33 pm »

Wizerd mod has some stuff if you want fun with Druidery.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 04:55:36 pm »

Those skills have no associated labors or professions.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:07:29 pm »

You could set up reactions or attacks that are based off of the druid skill, however. And yeah, back in 40d you used to be able to handle druidism just like any other profession (including renaming it), but it seems that with the transition to 2010 only some of the druid tokens got carried over.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:17:03 pm »

But how can I use reactions if it has no labor token ? I cant activate the Druid-labor in a dwarf... and cant add a laborskill to the reaction.

I will try though, but I except errorlog entries instead of working druids

EDIT: tested with a reaction using the (imaginary) druid skill, resultet in error log.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:24:23 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 11:37:28 pm »

But how can I use reactions if it has no labor token ? I cant activate the Druid-labor in a dwarf... and cant add a laborskill to the reaction.

EDIT: tested with a reaction using the (imaginary) druid skill, resultet in error log.
NATURE_MAGIC is the druid skill

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 12:34:28 am »

O_O

I'm a moron, I'm going to fix something up for the trollmod

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 12:55:15 am »

If you figure something out let us know. I cant get it to work. Was hoping for a reaction that only a specific caste could use.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 09:04:44 am »

You could set up reactions or attacks that are based off of the druid skill, however. And yeah, back in 40d you used to be able to handle druidism just like any other profession (including renaming it), but it seems that with the transition to 2010 only some of the druid tokens got carried over.
Back in 40d, DRUID was an actual profession (along with BARON, COUNT, DUKE, TAX_COLLECTOR, HAMMERER, DUNGEON_MASTER, PHILOSOPHER, KING, etc.), while in 0.31 it is an entity position. The actual skill itself likely no longer serves any purpose.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 11:51:21 am »

NATURE_MAGIC is the druid skill
It's MAGIC_NATURE actually. And if you want to make a reaction use/train the skill then simply put [SKILL:MAGIC_NATURE] on the reaction. I guess if you combined that with a caste-wide [SKILL_LEARN_RATE:MAGIC_NATURE:0] then you could make a reaction that, though while still useable by any dwarf, can only actually be performed efficiently by the single caste that can learn how to be a druid.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 12:16:34 pm »

I tried exactly this, and the labor is done by ANY dwarf. If anyone can get this to work it would still be awesome, but by now I tend towards agreeing with Quietust, that currently it can serve no purpose.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 12:31:19 pm »

I tried exactly this, and the labor is done by ANY dwarf. If anyone can get this to work it would still be awesome, but by now I tend towards agreeing with Quietust, that currently it can serve no purpose.
Of course it will be done by any dwarf, since there is no accompanying labor then all dwarves will do it. My point was that you could make it so that only some castes could do the reaction "quickly" and the others would never train their druid skill and thus would only be able to do it slowly. You could compensate for this by having the reaction only have a very low return rate so that only by performing the reaction repetitively would you actually get any products. Alternatively you could set up a multi-step process with each stage modifying the reactants until the final stage actually performs the reaction. (So have reactions called "ritual part 1,2,3,4..." that takes wood and transforms it into "blessed wood lvl 1,2,3,4..." and it isn't until the final step that it becomes "holy wood" for example.)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 12:37:06 pm »

Ah... I understand.

I foresee the problem that every dwarf will try the reaction though, even if a trainined druid is in the fortress.  Would be a lot of micro managing, locking the druid in, and all others out.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 12:40:29 pm »

Ah... I understand.

I foresee the problem that every dwarf will try the reaction though, even if a trainined druid is in the fortress.  Would be a lot of micro managing, locking the druid in, and all others out.
If druids have a natural skill in it, you can just say only dwarves with that level and up are allowed to use it

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 12:41:02 pm »

If you do it in a custom workshop then you can use the workshop profile to set it so that only a specific skill level (or even a specific dwarf) is the only one allowed to use that workshop, solving your problem.

Darn! Ninja'd!