Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What does this do?  (Read 1092 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
What does this do?
« on: February 03, 2012, 06:14:39 pm »

ok, in the military alert screen.
what is the effect of putting the civilians on active/training?

they don't seem to behave any differently.

what am i missing?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: What does this do?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 06:17:49 pm »

If you create a burrow then you can assign that burrow to a particular alert by selecting the alert and then moving to the right and selecting the burrow name. Then when you put civilians on that alert they will be confined to that burrow. You can then use this to make a "run for the safety of the fort" alert that you can activate to call all civilians inside if a goblin siege arrives.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 06:20:00 pm »

If you create a burrow then you can assign that burrow to a particular alert by selecting the alert and then moving to the right and selecting the burrow name. Then when you put civilians on that alert they will be confined to that burrow. You can then use this to make a "run for the safety of the fort" alert that you can activate to call all civilians inside if a goblin siege arrives.
yeah, i do that all the time.
i mean without going to the right, staying on the left, and just putting the civilians on alert/training.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 06:03:24 pm »

yeah, i do that all the time.
i mean without going to the right, staying on the left, and just putting the civilians on alert/training.

That just does nothing ;)

TheGazebo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 07:47:16 pm »

You have to designate a burrow for them to hide in first. Use the w key to mark out safe areas (Dwarves can travel between different parts of the burrow so you don't need to connect them all up).  Next, bring up the arlets menue by pressing m then a. Assign your burrow to an alert by marking it with enter (an A should appear next to the burrow name). Now when you assign your civilians to that alert they should all stay in your safe burrow.