Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A mysterious thirst  (Read 794 times)

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A mysterious thirst
« on: February 01, 2012, 02:16:56 am »

Riddle me this:

Urist McCottonmouth, my legendary engraver just died of thirst in his bedroom. There are no doors in it. He's 3 tiles from the central 3x3 stairway that is close to everything in the fortress. My z menu reports 14,875 drinks which, according to my stocks screen, cover 10 types of booze. Nine z-levels above where he died are 2 wells within 10 tiles of the stairs. According to the health menu, no one else is thirsty. There are burrows but no one is assigned to them and the alerts are not active.

Why did he die? I can't figure it out.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: A mysterious thirst
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 02:24:01 am »

Was he injured and confined to his bed? Injured dwarves need a bucket and someone with the labour that feed/waters wounded.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 02:26:12 am »

Was the door to his room locked?

Did you mistakenly forbid all your booze?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 02:44:57 am »

He might have been stricken by melancholy.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 02:48:16 am »

Was he injured and confined to his bed? Injured dwarves need a bucket and someone with the labour that feed/waters wounded.

I don't think he was ever injured. I generally keep pretty close tabs on the wounded. I suppose he could have been hurt without me seeing it. It seems unlikely though. I still recall the three dwarves that have lasting injuries and how they got them. Also, all my civilians have the feed/water labor enabled. Plus, he didn't actually die in bed. Just on the floor near by.

Was the door to his room locked?

Did you mistakenly forbid all your booze?

As you see from my original post, there were no doors in his room to lock. As for the booze, I just checked and I somehow managed to forbid only 2 drinks out of my stock of about 15,000. So I don't think that's it. Maybe those two drinks were the only ones made by his sweetheart and he swore he'd drink the brew of none other.

He might have been stricken by melancholy.

Hmm. Good thought. Don't we usually get warnings about that sort of thing?

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 02:50:15 am »

You do get an announcement about melancholy, but I can't remember if you get a "zoom to location" style announcement. If not, it's easy to imagine how it could get drowned under the deluge of other announcements.

Is there any way you could check his thoughts and mood, even though he's dead? Alternatively, you could load up a previous autosave and try to determine what happened from there.

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 03:07:05 am »

This is interesting. Now his body is rotting and stinking up the place. I have a bunch of idle haulers (many of whom regularly walk by the corpse) with the burial labor enabled and over 40 free coffins with the bury citizen function enabled.

It's as if he's caught in some kind of prohibitive zone.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 03:10:04 am »

Do you have the option "Forbid Corpses Upon Death" enabled? See if the dwarves can interact with other stuff in the guy's room.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 04:02:23 am »

Urist McCottonmouth cancels everything: stopped giving a fuck.

A serious answer though. He is a legendary engraver, yes? That means he is suspectible to the "had an artwork ruined" bad thought. If you've done something like tearing down a wall of his work to build a new room, then the messages "a urist McCottonmouth has been lost!" could have diverted your attention from the notification that he was struck by melancholy.

Melancholy doesn't pause the game. Only "has gone berserk!" does that... so he could have been wandering around there for a while and just killed himself.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 04:24:36 am »

OK. Problem solved. I'm an idiot. His neighbors started getting thirsty. I checked more closely. When I built a floor to seal the cavern below, it took out the stairs on that level. I didn't realize it would do that. So I sealed up a floor of bedrooms.

Thanks for the help guys.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 12:57:44 pm »

You do get an announcement about melancholy, but I can't remember if you get a "zoom to location" style announcement. If not, it's easy to imagine how it could get drowned under the deluge of other announcements.

Is there any way you could check his thoughts and mood, even though he's dead? Alternatively, you could load up a previous autosave and try to determine what happened from there.

you don't get a zoom on melancholy.