Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My friend's DF keeps crashing randomly  (Read 1103 times)

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
My friend's DF keeps crashing randomly
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:55:26 pm »

This is something i've NEVER seen happen before.  I've had my own computer blue screen or have the hard drive crash.  But i've never seen dwarf fortress just randomly stop functioning and closing.  He says it seems to happen randomly.  It has occured 3 times within the past 2 days.  How could we go about fixing this?  Could this be a computer issue or is there something wrong with his save?  He's running a somewhat old world 31? on the newest version of the game.  However this has just recently become an issue.  His laptop is fairly new.  A little under 2 years old to my knowledge.  I don't know the specs but it's running windows vista.  My friend doesn't have an account on this forum so i decided to post for him.

Thanks for any advice and help!
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: My friend's DF keeps crashing randomly
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:58:25 pm »

I had this problem with some of the older less stable versions, but nothing on 31.25.
Is there any action he does which triggers a crash, like trying to view a certain screen?

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 10:01:56 pm »

That's the confusing part.  The 1st time i was there.  It just happened randomly in the middle of playing.  The 2nd time i was also there.  It happened in the middle of an ambush towards the end of the battle as the goblins retreated.  The last one happened without my attendance.  He said he hit the save button and it suddenly crashed.  Thoughts?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 10:06:01 pm »

Recent update:  My friend claims to have missremembered the version in which the game was genned in and claims it was version 26.  Thoughts on how to fix it?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 10:08:52 pm »

Recent update:  My friend claims to have missremembered the version in which the game was genned in and claims it was version 26.  Thoughts on how to fix it?
Version 31.26 hasn't been released yet, yo my knowledge.
I would recommend he delete his DF folder and re-download it.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:18:34 pm »

The goal is to save his current fortress save.  Would this work if he just copies the current save into the new version?

Also, weren't we on version 35 a WHILE ago?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 10:35:49 pm »

There is no such thing as "version 26" or "version 35" - the current version is 0.31.25, and the last major release (before version 0.31.01) was 0.28.181.40d (and the last major release before that, back when the game was only 2D, was 0.23.130.23a).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 03:05:08 am »

The goal is to save his current fortress save.  Would this work if he just copies the current save into the new version?

Also, weren't we on version 35 a WHILE ago?

if he has the current version, yes, it would work. Compatibility with the upcomming new version, probably not
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 11:12:33 am »

If the problems continue after copying his save over into a fresh install then my next piece of advice would be to create a new world and see if that fixes the problem; it's possible that his world data could be corrupted.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 11:46:47 am »

I have had the problem where a fortress would always craash at one particular point a few times. Roughly the same amount of time after loading a save it would crash.

Only solution was to either delete the save or delete DF and redownload. Never had much luck saving the fortress though.

DeltaRomeo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 04:41:02 pm »

Before you go doing anything drastic, go into the init.txt file and change COMPRESSED_SAVES to NO. This worked for me when I had a similar problem. Just reply if you need more details.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 06:43:37 pm »

I have had the problem where a fortress would always craash at one particular point a few times. Roughly the same amount of time after loading a save it would crash.
This is usually when a specific creature (say a raccoon for example), is corrupted in the save. Then the instant that creature tries to enter the map the game crashes, and since it keeps trying to enter the map every time you reboot the save... you get the idea.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.