Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seed barrel and planting.  (Read 608 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seed barrel and planting.
« on: August 13, 2006, 09:25:00 am »

I have my main food stockpile a ways away from my main farm.  Every time the dwarves want to plant seed in it, they run all the way back to the seed barrel, grab a single seed, and carry it to the farm.

Perhaps dwarves who are planting a large farm should grab multiple seeds?

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seed barrel and planting.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 10:15:00 am »

You could always move the food stockpile by making a new one near the farm and deleting the old one.
Also, give lotsa dwarves the planting preference. I have atleast 10 people working on farms at all times (when possible), regardless of their skill.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 10:59:00 am »

Each of the plant jobs is separate, but it seems like exceptions could be made for things like this, and also storage jobs.  It could check the proximity of the items to be used, and the locations of use, and if each group is clustered, it can consolidate.  This might get expensive CPU wise, but it could happen at the time the job is created (though seeds move around etc, so it might need to be updated...).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 11:35:00 am »

Can you make them to carry bags to the field? They already put seeds in bags, so if a dwarf would carry a bag full of seeds right to the field and then take seeds from the bag one by one and plant them that would be much faster than the current setup.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 11:43:00 am »

The current problem with that is that individual seeds are tagged by the job, so unless the dwarf can assume responsibility for each seed in the bag, other dwarves would get confused.  If seeds aren't tagged by the job, a host of other issues arises.  In general, these multiple-job/multiple-item issues are some of the hardest for me, but I hope to tackle them at some point.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 03:40:00 pm »

Seed stockpile instead of food stockpile maybe?

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 03:47:00 pm »

I posted another idea for dealing with this here.  Long story short:  Allow players to individually place barrels with 'b', so seed barrels (among others) could be quickly and individually zoomed from place to place without fiddling with stockpiles or worrying the dwarves will carry the wrong thing.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One