Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I want to play a fort on the biggest embark site possible.  (Read 763 times)

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I want to play a fort on the biggest embark site possible.
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:12:29 am »

How good of a computer is needed? (Ex. how powerful of a processer. Does such a processor exist?)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I want to play a fort on the biggest embark site possible.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:30:30 am »

How good of a computer? Yes. The answer is yes.

I doubt such a processor exists. It would have to be extremely powerful, and probably unfeasibly expensive as a result.

The problem might not be just the power of the processor, though, as I've heard several reports of people getting crashes if they tried to embark on max-sized maps. That shouldn't happen if it's just a matter of power; their slower processors should've been able to calculate the map, just slowly, so it might be a problem with allocated memory or something like that that makes it totally impossible to embark on a 16x16 map with the current DF program's framework.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 12:34:38 am »

Hmm I see what you're saying. It seems like an isolated case though. I just embarked on a 16x16 and it took awhile to load but did. No crashes. However, only time will tell when it comes to lag and such. I bet Toadyone is proud to have made a game that can easily exceed modern computing power. At this rate computer technology will be struggling to keep up with him. Dats badass. ^_^

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 01:28:14 am »

The problem is, with a 16x16 embark, you'll soon run into RAM issues as more and more entities end up on your map.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 01:32:56 am »

Eh.. Considering it exceeds it due to bad (though to be fair at the time perhaps unforseeable) programming with regards to multithreading I don't know if its something to be proud about.. Not ashamed mind you (he started this ten years ago) but not 'proud'. 

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 01:40:28 am »

Yeah. I wouldn't really take that angle on it. Anyone with even the most basic knowledge of programming can write a trivially small program that "easily exceeds modern computing power." Giving a computer more nonsense than it can handle isn't difficult.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 02:44:29 am »

well a 2 Z level big 16*16 embark migth work i think ... it is not that big ... but don't include caves or too much sky
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 02:53:57 am »

There's that 4GHz single core intel server chip. Maybe it'd work.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 02:56:20 am »

There's that 4GHz single core intel server chip. Maybe it'd work.
It must be a behemoth.