Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarfs hauling away carcasses before my butcher gets there  (Read 1261 times)

aham

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
dwarfs hauling away carcasses before my butcher gets there
« on: January 30, 2012, 04:05:04 pm »

I have a problem. My hunters kill an animal (rhino) bring it to the butcher and a job is queued up. All good. Then some idiot other dwarf herpaderps up and takes the carcass to the refuse pile. The butcher gets there and doesn't find an animal, so it cancels the job. My refuse pile is full of like 5 corpses that this happened to, and the dwarves won't take corpses from the pile even though I modified their permissions to tell them to. Wat do?

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
Re: dwarfs hauling away carcasses before my butcher gets there
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 04:09:49 pm »

Modify the refuse pile not to accept corpses.

Besides, i think the butcher only cancels the job if the carcass is roting.
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 04:22:14 pm »

Have you set Orders to collect refuse from outside?
May the mass times acceleration be with you

madmenyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 04:50:23 pm »

I have some sort of the same problem.

Killed some minotaur that just showed up and killed it. In my underground bridge, and it got dragged to the refuse pile...i'm wondering if i could butcher the huge thing.

Also, the animals i kill with my army will just rot outside and a butcher order fails with fresh corpses just up the stairs.

I'm posing here since i think a the answer fixes both our problems.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 04:57:31 pm »

What you describe is not what is happening.

A dwarf will not touch a item which is tasked for a job.  The moment a dwarf decides to butcher the corpse, the corpse is marked as being tasked for the butcher job.  At that point nobody but the butcher is allowed to touch it.  On the other hand, if the job is tasked for being taken to the refuse pile before anyone decides to butcher it, it won't be eligible for being butchered until it's no longer being taken to the refuse pile.

I'm curious how you modified your 'permissions'.  As far as I know there is no setting which tells your dwarves to not butcher corpses from refuse piles.

Also, minotaurs cannot be butchered on account of being sentient animals.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

madmenyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 05:08:56 pm »

Ok, sorry, fixed my problem by building a butcher near the corpses. Still not sure why this does get all the (by now) skeletons out of my courtyard. But i'll stop hijacking your post.

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 05:26:19 pm »

If you tell dwarves to ignore refuse from outside, they wont butcher any killed animal, though as far as I know that aplies only to animals killed by the military or other animals.
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 06:19:08 pm »

If you tell dwarves to ignore refuse from outside, they wont butcher any killed animal, though as far as I know that aplies only to animals killed by the military or other animals.
Unless you put a refuse stockpile under the corpse.

aham

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 06:26:48 pm »

Modify the refuse pile not to accept corpses.

Besides, i think the butcher only cancels the job if the carcass is roting.

I'll try that.
It says something like "job cancelled: Needs non-rotting butcherable item nearby"

Have you set Orders to collect refuse from outside?

Yes.

What you describe is not what is happening.

A dwarf will not touch a item which is tasked for a job.  The moment a dwarf decides to butcher the corpse, the corpse is marked as being tasked for the butcher job.  At that point nobody but the butcher is allowed to touch it.  On the other hand, if the job is tasked for being taken to the refuse pile before anyone decides to butcher it, it won't be eligible for being butchered until it's no longer being taken to the refuse pile.

I'm curious how you modified your 'permissions'.  As far as I know there is no setting which tells your dwarves to not butcher corpses from refuse piles.

Also, minotaurs cannot be butchered on account of being sentient animals.

Well, that's just what it looks like is happening. I set the orders so that they could gather refuse from outside, but the butcher just leaves all the corpses there.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 07:21:34 pm »

Do you have a refuse stockpile reasonably near the butcher's shop?  As soon as the corpse is placed in the refuse stockpile, a butcher corpse job will automatically be generated at the butcher's shop.  A dwarf with the butcher job will then take the corpse from the stockpile to the butcher's shop and butcher it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

aham

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 09:34:23 pm »

Do you have a refuse stockpile reasonably near the butcher's shop?  As soon as the corpse is placed in the refuse stockpile, a butcher corpse job will automatically be generated at the butcher's shop.  A dwarf with the butcher job will then take the corpse from the stockpile to the butcher's shop and butcher it.

I removed my normal corpse stockpile and set one up right next to the butcher. Everyone just walks right by it and the corpses are lay there rotting.

It's not a big deal since I have plenty of food, but it is annoying that they let this good meat go to waste.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 10:02:45 pm »

Obviously, they won't touch corpses that are already rotting.

Did they refuse to touch the corpses before they were rotting?

Were the corpses in fact wild animals?  Tame animals which die from any cause other than being deliberately slaughtered at a butcher's shop can't be butchered.

Also, intelligent creatures like goblins or minotaurs can't be butchered.

If you do have non-intelligent, wild animals in a refuse stockpile that aren't being butchered, it's possible nobody is free to butcher them.  You might want to temporarily enable butchering on more dwarves, or disable all other labors on your other butcher dwarves.