Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Corpses and bones really piling up in my dining room...  (Read 479 times)

Clownie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Corpses and bones really piling up in my dining room...
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:06:21 pm »

So the main source of entertainment in my fortress is merrymaking and having the occasional goblin warrior or troll drop through a shaft from z-level 15 to z-level -3, causing in pleasurable explosions and the associated ludicrous gibs. However, when a creature is killed like this, the dwarves just leave it there to rot. They'll take its equipment once I reclaim it, but the corpses are left alone forever. It's just this one tile; on the rare occasion that a troll survives and my military kills it on another tile, the corpse will be moved.

Before I made the shaft, the two rocks lying on the ground on this tile were left alone, too, to my annoyance.

What do? I want troll bone bolts, man.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Corpses and bones really piling up in my dining room...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 12:12:59 pm »

Is your dining room Outside?  If so, you need to turn on gathering of refuse from Outside for them to move the parts to a refuse pile.

Of course even if you do that, they won't do much with the corpse after moving it.  Sentient creatures (including goblins and trolls) won't be butchered with the default raws.  When you splatter a creature with a high Z-level a few of the bits may rot to make usable bones, but the most of it will yield partial skeletons and skeletal body parts that you can't do anything with.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ferret

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:13:34 pm »

I'm assuming that you've set the drop shaft as a pit, hence the dwarves are leaving refuse at the bottom of it because a pit is considered a 'propper place' for it. Not sure that this is the cause, but its the only thing that comes to mind.

Clownie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 12:19:01 pm »

It's inside because I put a hatch on top, and it is indeed a pit.

I'll try removing the pit momentarily.

Also, I will have my troll bone bolts dammit. All the corpses have decomposed by now, leaving a bunch of bones. :D

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 12:22:31 pm »

Being a pit has nothing to do with it.  They'll drop creatures into a Pit zone, but that doesn't make the remains of those creatures forbidden.

Inspect the tiles manually, are they marked as Inside or Outside?  I don't know if building a hatch automatically makes tiles under it Inside.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Clownie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 12:28:30 pm »

It's inside. Specifically, inside/light/above ground (????????). Should I try shutting the hatch with a lever, perchance? Or building a temporary floor upon the tower while not executing prisoners of war?

I removed the pit, and indeed they leave the corpses there.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 12:35:35 pm »

No, if it's Inside then you shouldn't have problems with gathering of refuse from outside.

Do you have a refuse stockpile set up to accept goblin and troll corpses and body parts?

Clownie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:52:40 pm »

Yup. Two, in fact.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 01:11:37 pm »

actually, I somethimes think that if some place was once marked outside, it remains marked as no-collect-unless-outside-is-allowed

I have a rat remains on a tile that is marked inside - light - above ground, and no collecting. Enough idlers, normal refuse outside is allowed. Above ground = outside
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:13:21 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 01:35:47 pm »

Would also explain why your stones are being ignored. Set them to gather refuse from the outside, if they don't move the junk, magma and relocate.