Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Aquifer is a lie!  (Read 400 times)

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Aquifer is a lie!
« on: February 20, 2008, 04:52:00 am »

Much like the cake, it appears that the Aquifer is a lie!
Just started a fortress which displayed an aquifer on about 75% of the map, with the intention of going down the other 25% and piping in water from the aquifer. Imagine my surprise when, attempting to tap this aquifer, I found malachite! and limestone, and... it appears that the layer with the aquifer did not, in fact exist at all and I'd just effortlessly bypassed it. on the whole map. with no other water.
I'm guessing this is a bug since, well, the Embark screen displayed the first soil layer as being aquifer. I figured this meant two layers of sand, one wet and one dry but it appears I was mistaken.

eltorre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Aquifer is a lie!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 05:41:00 am »

no bug. its only multiple biomes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 05:54:00 am »

I've had the same thing.  I had set off a section of my embark area to be filled with an aquifer since I was playing on a desert map and felt the need for some water.

Well, no aquifer appeared in that section, even though it was the aquifer-laden biome in all other respects.  I recently started another map with one biome that had an aquifer and one that didn't.  Everything worked as it should.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 11:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by eltorre:
<STRONG>no bug. its only multiple biomes.</STRONG>

Isn't it still a bug?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 11:25:00 am »

Someone should've said something about saltwater aquifers...  I had to abandon a coastal human village because the river, ocean (duh) and aquifer were all saltwater, and could not be drunk from.

Either that, or the water source zone designation is bugging out mightily.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

There is a work-around for salt water that I discovered.

Build a channel by constructing walls next to the ocean.  Pump the ocean into it.  Designate a drinking area using the tops of the walls as floor.  Add access.  Voila.

If it doesn't work, pipe it through a pond, and pump that into a channel as above, try that.  It's been a while since I've done it (early 33g) and it was weird, but strangely the water in the aquaduct I'd built was drinkable.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 01:58:00 pm »

No, it's definitely not multiple biomes; I rechecked the embark for the location, the entire western half of the map and most of the northern portion all show up as having an aquifer on the first level when checking biomes. I've allready dropped 5x5 well pits down to stone on every conceivable 'square' of the map, the waters just not there.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 07:35:00 pm »

I have the exact opposite problem, with an aquifer that didn't appear on the map on any biome. Odd.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

Ok, First: It is more dependant on the land scape I think... plus it could be a map generation glitch.