Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Setting maximum population  (Read 711 times)

Kirdus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Setting maximum population
« on: December 18, 2012, 10:23:08 pm »

I don't want my fort having more than 100 dwarves yet, having set the d_init.txt file to say maximum population is 100, dwarves continue to show up. Population currently at 118, before previous migration it was 106 or something (definitely over 100). I set the maximum before the population reached 100. What am I doing wrong here? Also, I'm pretty certain I'm using the correct d_init file.

untakenusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Setting maximum population
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 10:32:07 pm »

For migrant waves to stop coming your dwarven liaison has to visit and successfully leave, presumably because the mountainhome has no clue what your population is without him.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:49:34 pm »

I'd also suggest that the game plans to send migrants/caravans/sieges a few seasons ahead of time; my pop cap was set to 50, but population rose to 89 before the last migrant wave showed up a few seasons after the cap was reached. Then I turned off invaders, and continued to be invaded for another 3 seasons or so before they finally stopped showing up.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

untakenusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 11:01:51 pm »

This is completely unrelated but for the past 30 minutes I've been reading threads you posted in Eric Blank, and never looked at your avatar too closely. I actually thought it was Jar jar Binks until now, I guess I've been playing too much Drunk Fortress. XD

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 11:01:51 pm »

I recommend to set it lower (and earlier) than your actual target population. You might also want to adjust your baby cap; I personally find it very strange when there are more babies in a fort than adults (YMMV).

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 11:05:42 pm »

This is completely unrelated but for the past 30 minutes I've been reading threads you posted in Eric Blank, and never looked at your avatar too closely. I actually thought it was Jar jar Binks until now, I guess I've been playing too much Drunk Fortress. XD

Hah! Odd character to be seeing everywhere, for sure. Not odd that you've been reading threads I post in, I guess; I post in the interesting ones/ones I have something useful (or not) to contribute to.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 01:02:39 pm »

I've been using a pop cap number of 75 or 80, and have the max baby/child setting at 10. 

Fortress populations have been topping out in the 95-105 range, sometimes with 30-35 children though.  However, a lot of the immigrant child have been 9+ in age and reach adulthood fairly quickly.  Nine years in and the fortress pop is 95 adults and six children with no babies currently about. 

And I think this will also affect child immigrants in future forts of this same world-gen.  They might show up as children, but will already be aged past the adult point and will turn into adults upon their first birthday at the fortress.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart