Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Peeking in on conversations  (Read 989 times)

Clownie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Peeking in on conversations
« on: January 31, 2012, 11:18:50 am »

What purpose does this serve? I tried waiting for something to happen, but I'm stuck staring at the human law-giver telling me what a pleasant place I've carved out for myself.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Peeking in on conversations
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 11:58:40 am »

It's part of the trading agreement screens. Simply hit a button and then wait a while and it will advance to the next conversation screen (most of which provide data/options for trade instead of just being pleasantries. Also if you aren't averted to a tiny bit of cheating you can pause the game and then repeatedly designate/undesignate anything with the mouse and it will advance through the screens even though the game is paused. This works great for a time when you need to get this trade agreement done and then quickly go have your leader do something. (Though be careful since cats can adopt dwarves during this "super time" as well as trade agreement conversations advancing, so it is possible to end up with a bunch of adoptions right after you do this as well.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Clownie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 12:14:21 pm »

But there is no such thing as a trade agreement with humans. Only dwarves. This law-giver tells me my cave is very pleasant, then a while later he tells me it was a nice conversation and leaves.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 12:20:15 pm »

I'm fairly sure that is just a placeholder at the moment. That is where liasons discuss the next caravan and elves the treecutting limits, but at the moment humans really don't have anything beside smalltalk to do with their diplomats.

Fusty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 12:48:14 pm »

Also if you aren't averted to a tiny bit of cheating you can pause the game and then repeatedly designate/undesignate anything with the mouse and it will advance through the screens even though the game is paused.

Wow, thanks for that tip!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 01:39:18 pm »

Note that it is possible, and actually fairly simple, to mod in the treecutting-limiter elf diplomats and the trade-agreement-forming human guild representatives. If you use these mods, those things will come as they did in 40d and before.

The mods in question involve adding the following to entity_default at the end of the forest and plains entries, respectively:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 02:46:25 pm »

Aye, like the previous poster said. Also, entity modifications like this unfortunately require the creation of a new world to become valid, so in your present fortress these diplomats will only serve to annoy you with pointless gameplay interruptions.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."