Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I can't play dwarf fortress...  (Read 2047 times)

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I can't play dwarf fortress...
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 11:05:00 am »

Full-size worlds mostly have the advantage of having lots and lots of interesting places to build. Less valuable for a new player who's still learning the works, but good if you want to build a fort in a haunted/terrifying tundra with a limestone layer or on a volcanic island with a cave.

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »

Yeah, I have to echo that pocket worlds are too small. I like to play in areas that have running water and a magma vent, so I usually play on a map one size down from the default and on a 4 x 4 area, following rivers to look for vents.

REMEMBER, IN ANY GRID SYSTEM 1/2 THE SIZE IS 1/4 OF THE AREA / OVERHEAD / RESOURCES. As it is for your desktop wallpaper so it is for dwarf fortress. Well, probably less so for DF as there are probably fixed things that are size independent, but it holds true in a general way.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 11:01:00 pm »

While bored on a friends computer I saw a few reasonably good tutorials for DF on Youtube.

Really long youtube DF tutorial thingy.  multipart. There are a couple others too but they are rather easy to find by just typing Dwarf Fortress in youtube's search.

I haven't watched it all the way through but it seems pretty good from the first few parts.  His hallways aren't wide enough in my opinion and he does a few other things I don't completely agree with but it is sound.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Balistora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 03:45:00 am »

i've watched RPGenies tutorials at least 3 times (=\ dunno why...although i do wonder what seed he used)
The 10000 year world would bother me.
Not because of the memory requirements, though they would be huge, but because technology wouldn't advance.
10000 years of the same swords and shields sort of tech is goofy.
Kobold Thief has stolen *flying car*
Pages: 1 [2]