Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fat mechanics  (Read 1769 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Fat mechanics
« on: January 29, 2012, 10:48:50 am »

Ok so a roving pack of angry baboons just tore all the fat off of my militia commander (effed up the mucle too I think) will she die? I have a good CMD so hopefully she'll return
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fat mechanics
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 10:55:51 am »

This lousy garage is full of fat mechanics.

She ought to live through a fat wound. People get it burned off from fire wounds so. should. be. okay.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 11:03:13 am »

From what I have heard, losing your fat is a good thing.
Don't quote me on that.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 01:32:38 pm »

Fat makes you kinda invul, but slow.
So if you are fat hits are "absorbed".
If you fall into magma, you die when your fat is burned away and not earlier :D

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 01:48:58 pm »

Can we see a screenshot of this?  I don't think it's possible to tear off a tissue layer (as opposed to a body part, which can be torn off).
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 02:38:52 pm »

Can we see a screenshot of this?  I don't think it's possible to tear off a tissue layer (as opposed to a body part, which can be torn off).

Agreed.

Anyway, fat is a tissue layer. When something hits your dwarf, it traverses through tissue layers - first the outermost one, then another, and so on.
Fat is the second layer. If you don't have it, attacks go straight from skin to muscle, and have an easier time getting to inner organs and bone and whatever.

However, fat is also what keeps melting off when a dwarf's submerged in magma or a cloud of fire, and molten fat loses blood like something that loses blood heavily. So, without fat, getting caught in magma means you don't start oozing blood all over. What might help you survive.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 10:50:28 pm »

Just for fun, I created a modded dwarf that has no body fat, and tested it in the arena with magma.

-Normal dwarves bleed to death as a consequence of fat melting.
-Modded dwarves drown in the magma.
-Modded dwarves with magma up to their chins catch on fire and later "die in the heat", lasting several times longer than if they had fat. This death is actually due to their internal organs burning away and failing after their skin, muscle, and bone has mostly burned away.

Note that creatures such as blizzard men and plump helmet men that are made of fleshy material but don't have blood or internal organs can't die in magma - they simply keep burning forever.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 10:57:40 pm »

So, if you dig channels next to a magma pool, and have an obscenely fat dwarf "swim" in it, there's a chance he can make it out alive?
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 11:05:45 pm »

Fat makes you kinda invul, but slow.
So if you are fat hits are "absorbed".
If you fall into magma, you die when your fat is burned away and not earlier :D

It doesn't burn. It melts, due to a bug in the raw values.

EDIT: To be fair, it should be melting in magma anyway. It melting under most other circumstances is the bug.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==