Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Increasing Rainfall  (Read 1269 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Increasing Rainfall
« on: January 29, 2012, 12:44:18 am »

In my forts, contaminants above ground is a big annoyance as dwarves never clean them up. They do not look aesthetically pleasing and may be a drain on my fps. While dfclean is an option, I'm sort of hoping for a more vanilla solution. (also, I use mac for some fortresses, and dfclean is not an option)

Is there any way to increase a world's rainfall in the world creation parameters?

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing Rainfall
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 12:53:57 am »

Hmmm. Embark in a temperate swamp?

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 12:56:54 am »

Swamps are nice if it wasn't for the aquifers that need piercing. What about jungles and forests? Are there large rainfall in jungles and forests?

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 01:14:31 am »

A good question. I know dwarf fortress does model rainfall in a relatively realistic manner, so i'm sure there would be some areas that would experience more of it than others - swamps was my natural assumption.

To be honest though, i haven't really noticed rain having much of an effect on above ground contaminents - my current fort is still red all around the main entrance, has been for years (i play with Fortress Defense).

As an alternative solution, i've read on the wiki that dwarves will be more likely to clean smoothed/engraved walls and floors - what if you completely ignored the above ground area and set up your main entrance in the stone a few levels lower, all engraved, so that when the battles are over, hoards of dwarves will immediately rush into the room and begin scrubbing the blood away?

Or better yet, seal the doors and flood the entire room with magma, then drain it off the map or into the caverns or something. Flowing water might also work.

I have to admit though that dfhack seems like the only real option here... hopefully Toady will rework the way blood and other contaminents are spread, because right now it's pretty rediculous.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 01:17:17 am by schismatise »

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 01:21:29 am »

You're right. Some of the rainier forts of mine weren't noticeably cleaner now that I think on it.

Underground entrances are well and good except for how the corpses, being underground, flood the place with purple miasma. Suppose magma is always the solution after all.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 08:28:59 am »

DFhack, DFclean. will remove splatters of blood and such, broke bolts and vomit/toxin pools.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 11:44:10 am »

Rain does remove contaminants, however it only works if it falls directly on the affected tile. So if you have some kind of overhang above your main gate, it'll never get clean.

Also, don't expect DF to be too realistic about rain. My current fort is in the middle of a DESERT. It has been raing for YEEEAARRSSS.... and I wish it would stop so that stray puddles actually dry up.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 11:53:36 am »

Also, don't expect DF to be too realistic about rain. My current fort is in the middle of a DESERT. It has been raing for YEEEAARRSSS.... and I wish it would stop so that stray puddles actually dry up.
Ya a 2 tile pool somehow get filled faster then a screw pump can pump stuff out, creating massive road making cancelation spam. I've found a solution: build  roof so the pool wont get refilled.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 11:55:34 am »

Yes there is. Look for the Rainfall and Drainage parameters in Advanced World Generation, as well as the Rain Frequency parameter. The Rain Ranges parameter might have an effect too.

Alternatively, force rainy weather using DFHack.