Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crash on save in Adventure mode?  (Read 645 times)

kitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crash on save in Adventure mode?
« on: August 18, 2007, 02:20:00 pm »

I just started playing around in adventure mode a few days ago.  It is very funny that you can steal from shops at night, but afterward all merchants refuse to talk to you!  Don't steal too much though, or the guards will show up and kill you  :(

So after playing a dozen games I managed to live long enough to accomplish something.  Fearing that I would die from the next beast I encountered I tried to save.  Half way through the save -> Crash, no jit debugger, sorry.  When I restart DF though the half saved game is listed, but crashes when loaded - not surprising.  I managed to salvage the world by deleting the whatever.sav file though and continued learning how to die.

Further along and I've defeated some cyclops and barely escaped a ruin.  Again I think - hmm, saving would be good -> Crash.  Restored the world from my nice new backup directory   :roll:  and continue.  Then again this morning when I wanted to save so I could leave the house -> Crash!

Basically I can't save in adventure mode.  I have successfully saved all of two times, and one time it was before I had done anything (I had some nice iron equipment).  
Is this a known bug, and has it been fixed in the upcoming release?
Does any one know how to successfully save (does location matter? Status?).

Anyway, adventure mode is pretty fun now that I can survive more than one battle.  I guess I'll go donate again in anticipation of the next release!

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crash on save in Adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 03:22:00 pm »

Sometymes the window goes unstable when I try to save.

However, if you give it a moment, (it even goes crazy and shows the window under it)...

It arranges, so just.. wait it out.

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »

Salvaging the world by deleting the .sav is the kind of thing that will lead to long term instability, since the other files won't be in sync with whatever you replace it with.  You should back up the entire save folder, or at least the region folder and the sav/dat file for it.  As for the crash, it's hard to say.  It might be related to this kind of file moving, or to a wrestling bug I fixed a while ago.  We'll have to see what problems come up in the next version.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

kitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 04:48:00 pm »

Yeah, I thought that might have been the cause of the repeat crashes - it probably doesn't help that I keep going back to places I visited in the crashed adventures either.  I guess I'll stop playing adventure mode until my current fortress goes belly up.  I'll let you know if the problem continues with a fresh world or I find out anything useful.

kitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 10:57:00 am »

The crash has still been happening regularly, using a once crashed world only increases the frequency.  At this point saving has about a fifty percent failure rate.  Adventure mode has enough ways to die without adding saving to the list   ;)

As far as the cause - I don't know.  For a while I thought exiting an area, then saving without moving would cause it.  This made sense because your first step after leaving an area triggers a "Off-loading site data" or some such message.  I confirmed though that the problem also happens in towns and while wandering the world.

Hopefully this is just the bug you already fixed, or is somehow squashed by the changes you made to map/site storage.  Get well soon!