Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Yoink's Newbie Questions.  (Read 2676 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Yoink's Newbie Questions.
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 01:13:50 am »

It's cluttered (too many items inside), your butcher will work more slowly than usual when inside.
If the [CLT] is red, then it's very cluttered, and your butcher will bw even slower.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2010, 01:20:57 am »

Oh right-- Lazy dwarves, not cleaning up the rotting carcasses!
On a brighter note, I just realized the zombie warthogs the area around my fort's infested with have IVORY... :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

sutour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2010, 01:28:42 am »

Hm, thanks... Do I have to mark them for combat/training? It still doesn't seem to work when I do that.

Also, what does this mean: Trader: With your trade goods such as they are, I can't fathom you ending up with all of those items.

Is he saying the cheap rubbish I'm throwing at him isn't valuable enough?!

As I understand that message, the total value of all your items in the trade depot is less than what you want to buy.

i.e. if you have only 500 units worth of goods in your trade depot and you are trying to buy 1000 units worth of goods. Or in other words even if you sell him all the things for what you want to buy he'll make a loss, no trader will make a loss (as I have it) no matter how estatic he is.

Stonecrafts are a great way to start off, you have a practically endless supply of stone, they stack nicely in bins and starts to fetch a decent price. They are not the most valuable but is a very good start. I have a guy doing only that at the start.

I've though had him not crafting for probably 5 years now and I can't seem to make a dent in the built up supply with the trades.

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2010, 12:52:39 pm »

I've though had him not crafting for probably 5 years now and I can't seem to make a dent in the built up supply with the trades.

Yep, once he starts pumping out High-Quality goods (not to mention if you throw in a Gem-Setter on those goods), the selling prices really get up there.  And by that time (unless you're in the market to buy those expensive goods off of the Merchants), I find I buy less and less as I'm pretty much self-sufficient.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2010, 09:27:16 am »

Okay, how can I make someone feed my injured, resting dwarf?
Thanks for the replies, guys.
Booze is Life for Yoink

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2010, 09:46:15 am »

CLT means its cluttered and will run slower, butchers shop can get very cluttered quickly, especially when exploding elephants (1 elephant corpse becomes a huge pile of random bits n pieces) and your operations will slow to a crawl.  Make sure you have food and refuse piles available and free, and warm bodies to move stuff
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2010, 10:30:02 am »

Dwarves will feed and water injured dwarves on their own if the supplies are available. They will not serve them booze. Likewise, if you have a chief medical dwarf, either he or another diagnostician will eventually come around to see what's wrong.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2012, 10:47:42 pm »

*Performs thread-CPR*

Hey guys! Figured I'd start this thread up again, since I have questions and am still a newbie. :)
I've (more-or-less) worked out the military schedules screen, finally, but is there some way to have a squad active, but still going about their usual civilian duties? As in, they'll basically just be hauling rubbish, manning the forges and butchering things, but if an enemy wanders up to them they attack rather than flee?
Just asking because a whole bunch of dwarves just died when an elk bird wandered into the fort, half of them off-duty soldiers. ::)
Booze is Life for Yoink

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2012, 10:54:49 pm »

*Performs thread-CPR*

Hey guys! Figured I'd start this thread up again, since I have questions and am still a newbie. :)
I've (more-or-less) worked out the military schedules screen, finally, but is there some way to have a squad active, but still going about their usual civilian duties? As in, they'll basically just be hauling rubbish, manning the forges and butchering things, but if an enemy wanders up to them they attack rather than flee?
Just asking because a whole bunch of dwarves just died when an elk bird wandered into the fort, half of them off-duty soldiers. ::)
Not to my knowledge.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2012, 04:33:15 am »

manually set them to active again, only way.

If you feel bad about asking little questions and reviving an old thread for it, try

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=52208.0

the DF2010 little questions thread
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2012, 11:06:12 am »

Ah, well thanks, guys! Guess I'll just have to babysit them more attentively in future. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2012, 12:48:17 pm »

yup, one time I was to the toilet without pausing and came back to notice a cave croc had wandered into my fort and was happily biting off arms and legs. Can't be away for even a minute
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 2 [3]