Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best ways to segregate the military?  (Read 893 times)

Blah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best ways to segregate the military?
« on: January 28, 2012, 07:27:36 am »

My attempts at doing this have only been moderately successful. I designated a burrow for the military and assigned them manually to it. It encompasses their rooms, barracks and a food & booze stockpile. The civilians have their own burrow with their own food & booze stockpile. The civilian burrow overlaps with the military burrow on the military food & booze stockpile for refilling.

I'm sure this can be improved. Some questions:
1) Is it somehow possible to assign an entire squad to a burrow? The alerts menu lets you assign all civilians to a burrow but I haven't been able to do the same with my squads.
2) Do dwarves socialize when drinking booze or eating (from a stockpile) in the same room?
3) Do dwarves socialize when they walk by each other? I need a lot of dwarves to clean up after sieges and they walk straight through the barracks with all the military.
4) I think I regularly see some military dwarves that ignore their burrow restriction and go to the meeting hall. I can't find these guys on the list when assigning dwarves to a burrow. I think it may be a bug that they don't show up. Anyone experienced the same? Any workaround?

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best ways to segregate the military?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 07:33:57 am »

1) Unfortunately, military personel cannot be assigned to a burrow, only civilians will obey burrow restrictions. If you really really want to achieve complete segregation, i suppose you'll have to use locked doors or some such.

2) Dunno, don't think so.

3) Don't think so.

4) See 1.

I've recently mucked around with seperate fort sections using burrows - one of the issues is that if someone in a burrow has a labour turned on that tasks an item outside the burrow, he will immediately cancel the job and spam you with error messages. Other issues include a dwarf in 1 burrow marrying or being married to a dwarf in another burrow, dwarves getting separated from their babies, and dwarves in a burrow claiming clothing items outside the burrow and spamming you with errors because they can't store them in their room.

Personally i think setting up seperate fort sections with everything a dwarf could need in close proximity is enough - they will generally stick to the area they spend the most time working in. Turn off hauling labours and possibly recover wounded/feed prisoners if you really don't want them leaving their work area.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 07:44:31 am by schismatise »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 07:38:17 am »

Set all non military Dwarves in a burrow far away from your Soldiers. You can attempt to use an airlock stockpile system, but I opted for a food chute system instead.

As for 2 + 3, they only socialize when near each other and doing nothing. If you make your legendary dining room BIIIIIIIGGGGG, your Dwarves will rarely socialize.

As for 4, with some nifty burrow guarding orders, it'll be possible, but probably not worth the lost time in training.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 07:40:02 am »

Oh yeah, you can assign squads to guard burrows through the scheduling system, but yeah i think it's similar to a station order - i don't think they'll train, just stand around.

Blah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 08:23:03 am »

You can attempt to use an airlock stockpile system, but I opted for a food chute system instead.

How does that work? I'm guessing dumping food marked as garbage down a shaft and unforbidding it?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 08:42:50 am »

You can attempt to use an airlock stockpile system, but I opted for a food chute system instead.

How does that work? I'm guessing dumping food marked as garbage down a shaft and unforbidding it?

Yup. And then redump all empty bins and barrels onto another chute into the servant areas. Recirculation ftw :D
*Make sure you have plenty of rock/tree farms in the servant area though :)
*Water sources on both ends are pretty much a requirement
*With decent bedrooms, both sides actually end up pretty happy

Blah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 09:12:16 am »

Seems easier to do airlock style stockpiles.

On a different note, if no meeting hall or zone exists, will dwarves stay in their rooms (if they have one)? Because all considered it might be easier to segregate my valuable dwarves and keep the peons+military together. The valuable non-military dwarves are about 25 at most, whereas the rest are easily 75+ dwarves. If a peon goes berserk it's just trauma resistance training for the other peons that one day will end up in the military anyway and target practice for the military.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 09:55:01 am »

My barracks in the current fort are 30 z levels above the main fort as part of a heavily guarded entry corridor (Ie sieges get funnelled through the barracks with various levers i can pull safe in the fort closer to the magma sea to chop up sieges into small forces which get funneled into other barrack rooms and into other corridors. Non military dorfs are burrowed into the fort with a small one tile thick path leading up to the stockpiles for the sake of restocking the food, beds for the militar dorfs are up near the barracks. This is a pretty effective method of keeping everyone safe. Though i did delete the burrow accidentally and the fort rushed out to claim  some dead caravans. Didn't spot this until too late...i was fairly tired.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!