Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about The Next Version  (Read 1487 times)

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
A question about The Next Version
« on: January 27, 2012, 02:24:23 pm »

I think it's also the one on the mind of many other mod makers...

Will it be possible to implement a reaction to turn dwarves* into different creatures?

*Of course, by "dwarves" i mean "ponies".

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: A question about The Next Version
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 03:48:57 pm »

Probably. After all that is basically what the vampire/werewolf interactions do, in that they transform your dwarves into another creature. Now whether or not this will be able to be implemented as a reaction in a custom building I am unsure, but you certainly will be able to set up an interaction that makes them change.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 04:00:04 pm »

It's possible that it will be possible to mod in a stone or other material that immediately flashes to vapor and whose vapor causes syndromes that cause creatures to change into different creatures. Then one could simply make a reaction that creates an instance of that stone, and whoever ran the reaction (as well as possibly those around the workshop when the reaction is run) would be afflicted by the syndrome and changed.

A similar process is already used in some mods to intentionally cause various syndromes, such as blindness, which are considered beneficial. Assuming that the creature-type-changing stuff will be implemented similarly to syndromes (which it seems likely it will), this should be doable.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 04:06:06 pm »

Reading the blog tells me being bitten by creatures might be a viable way of conducting werebeastdom.

So, just mod in some critter that'll bite dwarves to turn them into wereponies.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 06:04:26 pm »

You could also make a reaction that creates an edible/drinkable substance with the desired ingestion syndrome attached. Granted you have little control over what your minions ingest, but you could lock the scientific subject in a room and dump the stuff in through a hatch or something.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:06:32 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 06:20:50 pm »

From what I've seen from the example interaction raws Toady has posted, I don't think that the new interaction system actually lets you change the creature type of the target.  Instead, they let you add and remove creature raw tags from the target.  I don't know if this extends to adding or removing body parts.  It should let you add things like flight or [NOPAIN] or similar abilities, just by adding the appropriate tokens.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 06:43:57 pm »

From what I've seen from the example interaction raws Toady has posted, I don't think that the new interaction system actually lets you change the creature type of the target.  Instead, they let you add and remove creature raw tags from the target.  I don't know if this extends to adding or removing body parts.  It should let you add things like flight or [NOPAIN] or similar abilities, just by adding the appropriate tokens.

Code: [Select]
   [CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:16800]
      [CE:CREATURE:WEREBEAST:DEFAULT]
      [CE:PERIODIC:MOON_PHASE:27:0]

From the werebeast bite interaction.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 06:47:10 pm »

Ah, so it does.  Interesting.  This will need to be experimented heavily when the next release comes out.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 09:51:07 pm »

Note that were-creatures only attack because of the [CRAZED] token, so the properties of non-crazed transformed creatures should be interesting. Are they still mentally part of your civ, or do they have an animal mentality? Can we infect dwarves with a syndrome that turns them into cattle, and then butcher them? Plenty of research to do when the new version comes out.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 03:05:11 am »

"Urist McDwarf has been extatic lately. He was turned into a pony recently."