Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brewing not working properly....  (Read 451 times)

Malor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Brewing not working properly....
« on: September 10, 2006, 11:40:00 pm »

I've got a seemingly-bizarre bug where I cannot brew.  It worked fine over the second winter, but sometime in the third year, it just stopped functioning, and I can't determine why.

Symptom:  I build a still.  (I've torn and and rebuilt them several times.)  I queue up a job for brewing, and I even have a couple of dwarves marked to only do Brewing, Food Hauling, and Health Care.  I can queue a single job with an R, or I can queue up multiple jobs, it doesn't matter.

The dwarf in question goes and gets something from storage.  I don't recognize it, it may be a purchased item.  It's like a white stalk... it's not a plump helmet.  He brings it to the still, and then a second later he starts heading back to food storage, white stalk still in hand.  All jobs have now been cleared in the still.  No brewing has occurred, and no warning message is printed.  

I just had a thought to make sure that only plump helmets are marked for brewing.  I'll go try that now.

Great game, btw.  I'll be sure to donate in a few days, when there's more money in my checking account.  :)

Malor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Brewing not working properly....
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 11:48:00 pm »

Does the same thing with plump helmets.  Dwarf goes and gets one, brings it to the still, and then silently fails to brew.  This is a total show-stopper for me.... I'll lose the fortress if I can't resolve this one.

Help?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 11:50:00 pm »

Do you have any free barrels? That'll stop a brew faster than anything, although I thought they'd usually throw an error when that happens.

use 'v' then 'inventory' to see what your dwarves are carrying.

Malor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 01:10:00 am »

That was it, thanks!  So this is a cosmetic bug then, not a real one.  :)

Blackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 02:57:00 am »

If you have turned off the job failure notifications in the [o] menu, then failed brew attempts will indeed be silent. And when mistyping commands I've done some stupid changes to those options without realising...

If you haven't turned those off, then I don't know.

[ September 11, 2006: Message edited by: Blackcat ]

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 11:39:00 am »

By the way, white stalks are cave wheat and gray stalks are pig tails, both of which are brewable plants.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 12:39:00 pm »

gah.. you think turning off notice is bad? i turned off furniture hauling by mistake and was wondering why all those bins are stacking up in the shop.