Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I think I found the reincarnation of Âsax the Cave Swallow Man in my Fortress  (Read 1543 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have just found what might be the most awesome Serpent man ever, and likely a reincarnation of Âsax, the most awesome cave swallow man ever.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=52295.0

His name is Osmusturog, which apparently means machinecackled, and to date he's killed ever single forgotten beast that's showed up in my fortress with a tower-cap spear, oftentimes all by himself. Interestingly, he's listed as friendly rather than hostile like the rest of his kind, just like Âsax, and while he hasn't been obsessively renaming his spear he's pretty much unharmed despite having spent several months at a time in combat with FBs. Like, I mean, literally in perfect shape, all body parts white. He was briefly a blisterball after getting doused in a vomit blob's toxic gas, but he healed from that about a day after slaying the beast.

Hell, I just found ANOTHER friendly serpent person, this time a female, also a spear user. Maybe it has something to do with the gobbos I dumped down there (long story, involves many, many levers) who were mercilessly slaughtered by her "tribe"?

oh btw, I just found a troll and a giant toad floating in mid air for some reason. This fortress is weird.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile

when a creature kills an invader, they turn friendly
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know, but it's still amusing.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

Jimmy T. Malice

• Bay Watcher
  • The severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile

There are some Olm Men in the caverns below my fortress and I don't know what they're doing... I hope they're friendly. Otherwise, they may be in for some fun.
Urist McDorf cancels Pull lever: not that bloody stupid

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

oh btw, I just found a troll and a giant toad floating in mid air for some reason. This fortress is weird.

Relevant to interests.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It goes even deeper than that LW. Some coating on my entrance hall walls causes the game to crash when I loo(k) at it, as does a legendary woodworker. There's also an elf being beat on in the caverns that refuses to die despite the fact that every organ in his body is red...
It was inevitable.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

It goes even deeper than that LW. Some coating on my entrance hall walls causes the game to crash when I loo(k) at it, as does a legendary woodworker.
You're running in the experimental TrueType mode, and you're running into an extremely prolific bug which won't be fixed until the next DF release.

If you're running the Windows version, edit Dwarf Fortress.exe and apply the following patches: "2F063F : BE -> B6" and "2F07DD : BE -> B6". If you're on Linux, you might be able to get a replacement library file that fixes the bug, but I don't know where.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile

Was the troll riding the toad?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Ah, if I do recall, the amount of blood on your walls are in such great quantity they will cause the game to despair and kill itself.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, if I do recall, the amount of blood on your walls are in such great quantity they will cause the game to despair and kill itself.

No. But it looks like they're actually on top of a tree. Which is just as funny as having them floating in mid air.

Apparently the serpent men chased a troll up a tree =)
It was inevitable.