Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Internet, it's you or me, Fight-O!  (Read 806 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Internet, it's you or me, Fight-O!
« on: January 25, 2012, 04:41:41 am »

so after a really bad case of "you shouldn't reboot a router when it's updating it's firmware" we had to buy a new router. since even the reformat to industrial settings did not work.
bought a new one. since the old one was kind of four to five years old, the new one even in the middle range, was by far better. with the 802.11N type of network, it went to 154 mps, from the old 54.
now what is the problem?
it's mostly just a quirk it has:
in the morning it goes well, no problems, no doubts. nothing to say against it, it loads up pages like it were a ferrari.

during the 10.00 am-19:00 pm timeslot however, it's like a peugeot, still working, mind you, but slower.
nothing to kill for though, that's why it's more of a "quirk" than anything.
point is, IF i disconnect and reconnect, for the next 10 minutes it goes at "ULTRASONIC" speed.
so, i'm starting to think that something is 1) interfering 2)something is set badly.
first off no, i will NOT update the router. the firmware it has is what it will keep. till death.
secondly the name it has is no longer the default, the security key is a wpa-psk with AES encryption to guarantee the maximum speed. it's well within range, and even better than the old one (with this one i get some peaks of "excellent connection" too) so...any clueS?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
Re: Internet, it's you or me, Fight-O!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:38:55 am »

what part of the world are you in? ever locality has its internet connection quarks and it'd help to know your service provider.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 09:16:06 am »

i'm italy, and have tiscali.
the old router was a netgear model who while giving me a slow connection, also had the problem that punctually, at 9:00 am and 19:00 pm would need to be rebooted. this one does not have this problem though, has a greater range and is far better. still...it could go even more fast.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 09:32:50 am »

It sounds like greater range makes it easier for someone to mooch off you, and that they didn't bother reconnecting for the old one.

Comcast and other companies may be giving you speed boost, which is something that is active early in the connection, but not later.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 09:37:47 am »

well, i doubt anyone would tie to the router now. i mean, i did change the password to something unintelligible...and it is supposed to be "ultra safe encryption!" *yeah* another thing i noticed is that the proportion between received and sent bytes (looking at the status from the wifi) is everything BUT proportional.
to say, i receive 293 milions bytes, but only send 29 milions. the old router tried to keep a 1 on 1 thing.
it could be frequency problems, but i "did" change the radio frequency and it was all the same.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 10:33:02 am »

The router could be overheating.  Make sure it's well ventilated, but some routers just have this as a design flaw you can't remedy.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 10:52:18 am »

it's lifted up in vertical (per instruction for "maximum range") and it doesn't seem hot. furthermore it's placed on top of a grey slate panel (yes, you read that right) and it's well ventilated.
i just have this feeling something is set wrong, OR something is failing like a cable, and since cables are inside the walls i'd have to tear them down. so i'd rather know it's something from the router.