Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Counterproductive dwarves  (Read 384 times)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Counterproductive dwarves
« on: August 15, 2007, 11:30:00 pm »

I've noticed that dwarves like to take items from workshops and put them in stockpiles while another dwarf is gathering them for a job at the workshop.

This is particularly noticeable when a dwarf is trying to make steel bars at a brand new magma smelter.  He drags out the hematite and pig iron, then runs back for some limestone. In the meanwhile, some random dwarf comes by and takes the iron and hematite back to the stockpile.  Finally, the metalsmith dwarf gets back with the limestone, only to find that he now needs hematite and pig iron.  He heads back off to the stockpile and starts dragging those back out to the smelter.  Meanwhile another dwarf has seen the limestone in the smelter and is taking it back to the stockpile.  This process of musical materials goes on for quite some time before the metalsmith manages to get hematite, pig iron, limestone, and some amount of coal to the smelter all at the same time so he can make some steel.  As you might imagine, this is putting a serious hamper on my steel production.  And of course, is drawing dwarves from their proper tasks to drag back the materials which they shouldn't be touching in the first place...

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Counterproductive dwarves
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 11:38:00 pm »

They shouldn't do what you are saying they are. If a metalsmith is going to use a limestone and a hematite in a forge, they will be marked with TSK and will not be hauled.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 11:39:00 pm »

Hummm... Are you sure your smelther don't just stop working because of hunger/thirst/sleep and then have to start all over again?

I certainly didn't notice that in my own forts. But maybe it's because my main fort is just past the river and that I stockpile each kind of ore, bars and some limestone just next to the smelter(s) so it's so close and the haulers are so far that it doesn't change much.

Ah yes... Now that I think about it, I usually try to give the smelter and blacksmith job to both legendary in mining and detailing dwarves because once you hit the economy you can't assign bedrooms to unlegendary dwarves. Of course, they are going much faster than normal dwarves so it must be a factor too...

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 12:59:00 am »

quote:
They shouldn't do what you are saying they are. If a metalsmith is going to use a limestone and a hematite in a forge, they will be marked with TSK and will not be hauled.  

I noticed the TSK displayed on the items in the smelter while I was checking that the dwarves were indeed removing the items needed for the smelting job (and not some other random item).  As far as I can tell, the TSK flag remains, but the items still get taken.  (I haven't checked if the flag remains on ofter the items are picked up - this could lead to even more problems if the item has gone back to a stockpile, but is still marked TSK)

Could the TSK flag be being ignored?  I doubt it's a fluke, since this seems to happen any and nearly every time there's an appreciable amount/distance of hauling needed to make something.

[ August 16, 2007: Message edited by: Keldor ]

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 03:08:00 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=001051

Maybe we got similar problem. And that was improved when I had magma forges/smelters.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 05:27:00 am »

Hi!

A few pieces of information:

* Hauling is also a task. This means, any item slated to be hauled will also display "TSK"

* If you want to know more about what is going on, use the 'u'nit screen to check whether the smith is really taking his job seriously. Also consider using the 'j'ob list to check on the various jobs that are there.

* Maybe single step the game, checking both 'u'nit and 'j'ob at each step so you can see at which point the hauling tasks come in or the smithing is abandoned.

I have never had magma forges before. With my normal forges and smelters, all raiding takes place only when the working dwarf leaves for his lunch break. (Happened a lot for those brass barrels since they needed three bars of brass IIRC).

BTW, legendary miners do not necessarily move faster. I have one, he is ultra-mighty and extremely tough but doesn't have any agility improvements at all (T_T).

Deathworks